• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 12.50's on stock rims

they will "fit" but it would bulge the center of the tread up because you are pulling the sides too tight in.. and most tire shops will not even mount them on smaller than a 15x8" wheel.... i am buying new wheels just for this reason..

mike

Actually the more correct answer would be "NO". You will not be able to run them on your XJ. You need some backspacing with 12.5 wide rubbers. I tried before and they rubbed on the leafs before I even bolted them down. I am running 33x12.5 on 15x10rim with ?BS(sorry cant remember what it is). Jeff CamoXJ

The 8" rim is a good choice if you plan on airing down...less prone to unseating than a 10" rim...but you will need to run the pressure on the low side for street use or you will wear the center of the tread faster...I run my Coopers at 22psi....air 'em down to 14 when it's time to go roostin'. I have M/T Classic II's...think they are 4" bs.

Last edited:
Actually the more correct answer would be "NO". You will not be able to run them on your XJ. You need some backspacing with 12.5 wide rubbers. I tried before and they rubbed on the leafs before I even bolted them down.

Like the man said you won't get them on even if you found someone to mount them on your OEM rims ... they'll rub the leafs. But depending on your way of life, you may be able to use aluminum wheel spacers. I wouldn't do it but it's a cheap way to get around the problem. Keep in mind, you may need to use extended studs if you go that route.

If you really like that Jeep "Super Stock" look ... you can get a set of steel OEM Jeep wheels out of a yard ... drill out the centers and have a set of 8" or 10" custom offset aftermarket steel wheels made up that will fit that tire perfect in the tub... if you're interested and need more info on how and where to get this done, write back.

And it shouldn't cost more than $100 a wheel !

shimmy said:
what? short cuts suck, why would you do that?
"If you really like that Jeep "Super Stock" look ..." ---is why. He didn't say it was a good idea necessarily, but if he insists on keeping it OEM looking, he could do this.

I think my post said I WOULD NOT do this. But that's me ... if the man is dead set on mounting these tires on stock OEM wheels there are options. Some less desirable than others ... that's why I offered two low-cost alternatives.

Another low-cost alternative is give up on the idea and forget about it. :peace:

giranger said:
Actually the more correct answer would be "NO". You will not be able to run them on your XJ. You need some backspacing with 12.5 wide rubbers. I tried before and they rubbed on the leafs before I even bolted them down. I am running 33x12.5 on 15x10rim with ?BS(sorry cant remember what it is). Jeff CamoXJ

Well I disagree on this one here. They will bolt up. I had my 33x12.50 Cooper's on the stock rims. The rims that are in my avatar.
852149Highliftmounted.JPG

Here they are while I was fixing mt rear axle after Tellico last year. They were very close to the rear leafs but did nto rub.

Here is another.....

490226Roofmounttires.JPG

Bad pictuers but it is posiable to run 33x12.50 on a stock rim. This one was on my way to the tire shop to get my new/old AR rims mounted on my 33's. The main reason I changed was bc on compression the rear rubbed the inner wheel well really bad. That is with 5.5" in the front and 6.5" in teh rear and an 84xj body.....

MudDawg said:
I have M/T Classic II's...think they are 4" bs.

3.25" bs unless you have 16" wheels.

bigpimpinben said:
can I run 33 12.50's on my stock 1990 leredo rims? (The ride quality isn't that important).

giranger said:
Actually the more correct answer would be "NO". You will not be able to run them on your XJ. You need some backspacing with 12.5 wide rubbers. I tried before and they rubbed on the leafs before I even bolted them down. Jeff CamoXJ

Ghost said:
Well I disagree on this one here. They will bolt up. I had my 33x12.50 Cooper's on the stock rims.

I don't intend to get anal about this but I don't recall those wheels you show in those pics being the Laredo style ... those look like steel factory wheels from another model.

Laredo's came with aluminum wheels ... two different styles. One has multiple spoke (big plastic center cap) ... the other five spoke made by AR (I believe optional in 1990, standard on 1991's).

Probably have different offsets than those steelies... and don't forget not all 33x12.5's are created equal ... I'd look at the SW specs before buying or mounting any tire.

I don't know why anyone would want to run that size tire on stock 7" OEM wheels unless they have no other options... too wide IMO. It's just going to pull the SW in and distort the contact patch and probably wear uneven.

Better off with 31's or 32x11.5's on those stock wheels.

Good luck.

Laredo style, steel, Grizzley, Ecco, anything else (I dunno, I like black steel myself), should not matter, as long as they had the same width and backspacing. I beleive that all 15x7 OEM wheels on XJs were 5.25" BS, and XJs only came with 15x7, or in some cases, 15x6. I don't think Jeep would put 15x6 on a Laredo, being the top(?) trim level, and I don't think Ghost would put 12.5" wide tires on a 6" wheel.

So if you follow what I'm saying, the wheels are basically the same.
I have faith that someone will correct me if I'm full of it.

Phil Weeks said:
Laredo style, steel, Grizzley, Ecco, anything else (I dunno, I like black steel myself), should not matter, as long as they had the same width and backspacing. I beleive that all 15x7 OEM wheels on XJs were 5.25" BS, and XJs only came with 15x7, or in some cases, 15x6. I don't think Jeep would put 15x6 on a Laredo, being the top(?) trim level, and I don't think Ghost would put 12.5" wide tires on a 6" wheel.

So if you follow what I'm saying, the wheels are basically the same.
I have faith that someone will correct me if I'm full of it.
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! Yes it is my understanding that they all are 5.25 BS and that was my point!

i work at a shop that repairs wheels
we do widening of steel and offset changes.
we can widen a wheel up to 4" for about $140ea canadian, and we can set the offset to pretty much anything you want.
but if you consider that I can get 15x8 or 15x10 white spoke wagon wheels for about $45 a piece it's not really worth it unless thewheelsare really important to you.

so i would suggest getting some new wheels
btw, the wagon wheels look pretty good painted semi gloss black

That wheel in the pic is not off a Laredo.

I've owned my '91 Laredo for 13 years ... and have the stock 15x7's with 31x10.50's. I wouldn't waste the time or money mounting 33x12.50's on my OEM wheels ... what does that setup actually buy you ? They will come very close to or rub the leafs on my XJ... do the math:

I currently have exactly 1" clearance from the SW to the spring. This is on 31x10.5" BFG KO's <--one week old.

BFG KO's 31x10.5" specs: SW = 10.5" on 8.5" measured rim.

BFG KO's 33x12.5" specs: SW = 12.4" on 10.0" measured rim.

Clearance = .1" <-- approximate

Pretty tight IMO ... if you use spacers it will work, but it's not the best approach.

Whatever makes you happy ... go with it !

Last edited:
why dont you just buy some cheapo black steel wheels...i think i bought all five for 30 bucks a piece....cant really beat that and if you thrash one...its cheap to replace...unless you are so aired down that you require beadlocks, and if that were the case you wouldn't have started this thread.....go with the steelies....they rock!!

peace!

Back