• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all ZJ brake stuff done

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright I am finally almost done I got my ZJ rear disc on my ZJ dual diaphram booster, ZJ master cylinder, ZJ proportion valve, and used a '95 brake light switch for it. Thanks to Bradly for the help with the brake light switch.
works awsome one of the best mods I have done yet. If anyone wants to know how something was done just ask.

DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
alright I am finally almost done I got my ZJ rear disc on my ZJ dual diaphram booster, ZJ master cylinder, ZJ proportion valve, and used a '95 brake light switch for it. Thanks to Bradly for the help with the brake light switch.
works awsome one of the best mods I have done yet. If anyone wants to know how something was done just ask.

DIG IT!

I would certainly appreciate a full write-up, especially the part numbers you used and the mods you did, as I am planning to do the same thing on my XJ. Living in Greece, where Jeep parts are REALLY expensive, I wouldn't like to experiment too much, so any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards
---------
John SV1CEC

I still trying to find out if the ZJ booster is any bigger than the duel later model XJ ones? Do you know?

Re: ZJ Booster same size?

From what I have seen, and read somewhere! the ZJ booster is same as 95+ XJ booster. The advantage of 95 - 96 XJ booster is the rod is same as 87 - 94 XJ and is a bolt in to the early XJ's (with angle spacer and increasing the hole diameter on some models) while I have read that the later boosters need the rod swapped (article somewhere)
I used 95XJ in 89 and had to grind the flat on back of the rod for the brake lite sw and enlarge the diameter for the bolt and bushing on 89 pedal.
Works great but I never checked the stopping distance improvement with the g-tech- I'd guess another 5 - 10 feet improvement from the 152' 60 - 0 measurement prior.

I will try and do a write up on this. on this conversion I lost my cruise control (which already didn't work so no big deal) Bradlyw has done this and kept his cruise control. I will get some write up info from him also.

Looking foward to the write up. Thanks for guinea pigging it.

Mike

Re: ZJ Booster same size?

rsalemi said:
From what I have seen, and read somewhere! the ZJ booster is same as 95+ XJ booster. The advantage of 95 - 96 XJ booster is the rod is same as 87 - 94 XJ and is a bolt in to the early XJ's (with angle spacer and increasing the hole diameter on some models) while I have read that the later boosters need the rod swapped (article somewhere)
I used 95XJ in 89 and had to grind the flat on back of the rod for the brake lite sw and enlarge the diameter for the bolt and bushing on 89 pedal.
Works great but I never checked the stopping distance improvement with the g-tech- I'd guess another 5 - 10 feet improvement from the 152' 60 - 0 measurement prior.

Thats what I had heard too that the ZJ and XJ of the later years were the same. Here is a write up on Madxj that you might have been thinking about too.
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARbrakeBoosterUpgrade/BrakeBoosterUpgrade.htm

they are pretty much the same, when you look at the part numbers they are only off by one number (ie) the booster that bucky used part numbers are, booster # is 52008646 and rod # is 19901. The number off of the 96 xj booster is 52008647 and the rod number being 19902. mad xj doesnt have any part numbers listed for the zj stuff. i was hoping that some one will do a write up on this and send a copy to the owner of madxj.com so he can update his websight.

Back