• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-4 inch junkyard and homebuilt lift, that rides like a Caddy?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
So my girlfriend has decided to get an XJ, probably a 97+. She wants me to lift it about 3-4 inches and throw some 31s on it. This will be a daily driver and camping/mild trail XJ. Being the good boyfriend, I want this thing to ride as good or better than stock. I don't want her to spend the money on an OME kit when i feel i can do just as good myself.

SO...

the things I'm thinking I will have to buy new are front coils and shocks:

Coils: RE? OME? other? who has the best spring-rate for a daily driver?

Shocks: OME shocks? are they really that great? RS9000s? Bilstein 5100s?

Stuff I'm going to build or piece together are LCAs, leaf-packs, spacers, swaybar links, etc.

LCAs: I'm thinking a rubber bushing at one end and a RE joint at the other, build to proper length for proper caster

Leaf-packs: I'll use the stock main, and with Dakota, S-10, and MJ leaves come up with a pack with as many thin leaves as is appropriate, along with a slightly longer shackle.

spacers: I'll make front coil spacers in case the front doesn't match the rear

I'm well informed with SYEs, gearing, rock-rails, tow-points, etc that are important to an XJ build, so this post is meant to focus simply on suspension.

thanks
brett

Brett, I wouldn't bother building control arms for what you can get on the boards in used parts. Unless you've got the material laying around, it's easier/cheaper to get used ones. I bought my RE adjustable uppers, lowers, and 1600(heim) trackbar for 250$ All I had to do was buy 20$ in polyurethane races from RE to rebuild the superflex joints and I was good to go. BTW, I didn't really even need to rebuild them, I just figured it was a good idea since I had them out and everything. I put together my first lift (6.5) for 700$ and that included the hack 'n tap SYE. That was just using used parts and what not. I guess my point is don't underestimate used parts. In fact, I may have some adjustable RE lowers for sale soon since my long arms came on Friday :D

If ride is your number one priority, you have to consider drop brackets or long arms. Arm angles on 3"+ lifts kill ride in a way that no combination of springs and shocks can overcome.

Rubber bushings at both ends of all control arms to minimize NVH.
OME shocks with Rusty's 3" coils + poly space if needed. The more lift you can get out of shackles and maybe a 1" block, the less you will have to beef up the springs for a given lift height.

Dakota, MJ, or S10 spring backs are going to ride stiff. I would spend the money on buying some good spring packs from RE or build the rear w/ block and shackles to keep stock spring rate.

I think you should build your own control arms for your GF's daily driver, while you are at it, why dont you get rid of that sway bar since those things limit the articulation so much, then when she drives your kids to school in the morning she wont have to worry about anything.

Not to sound like an ass, but just spend the money to buy the parts. Do it right the frist time and save yourself the time and hastle. I would not trust my girl's life on my welding skills.

-Scott

sintax said:
I think you should build your own control arms for your GF's daily driver, while you are at it, why dont you get rid of that sway bar since those things limit the articulation so much, then when she drives your kids to school in the morning she wont have to worry about anything.

Not to sound like an ass, but just spend the money to buy the parts. Do it right the frist time and save yourself the time and hastle. I would not trust my girl's life on my welding skills.

-Scott

Well you do sound like an ass, I DO trust my girlfriends life with my welding skills :rolleyes:

and yeah, $200 for RE LCAs that I could make for $60? Riiiiight...

I've lifted a couple XJs, and put my MJ through too many suspension configurations to even count now (including building the entire front suspension from scratch). I feel pretty confident that I can get this together very easily.

As for the rear spring-packs, the thing I see too many people doing is adding arched leafs to their existing spring-packs. What they need to do to get the same amount of lift while maintaining a softer spring-rate it to replace the stock leaves (except the main) with a couple more arched ones. Oh, and keep friction to a minimum with good spring sliders.

3inches of lift with stock control arms it rides horrible compared to stock height. I dont mind the ride personally but thats just me

just though i'd mention that I used to have an XJ that I lifted 4 inches. it was pretty good, but probably would have been a lot better with good shocks. I'm not looking for anything unreasonable, basically just want to know what is gonna be the best riding coils and shocks for a reasonable price?

Go with rusty's coils. Super soft rate (not much higher than stock) for a good street ride and they flex like crazy. Either that or just stick in a fat spacer and some extra coil isolators. Nothing softer than stock coils.
I have dakota springs in the back (cut the eyes off) under a rancho main leaf and rancho 9000s on "2" and a 3/4 inch shackle. The street ride is fine, a lot nicer than other cherokees with stiffer springs i've ridden in.
Ill give you 60 bucks for a set of RE jointed CAs :greensmok

Lucas said:
Go with rusty's coils. Super soft rate (not much higher than stock) for a good street ride and they flex like crazy. Either that or just stick in a fat spacer and some extra coil isolators. Nothing softer than stock coils.
I have dakota springs in the back (cut the eyes off) under a rancho main leaf and rancho 9000s on "2" and a 3/4 inch shackle. The street ride is fine, a lot nicer than other cherokees with stiffer springs i've ridden in.
Ill give you 60 bucks for a set of RE jointed CAs :greensmok

thanks, that's some pretty good advice.

and I could make RE jointed LCAs for $60, but I sure wouldn't sell them for that. I'll make and sell you some for $150 :D that's $50 less than RE ;)

not to turn this into the "for sale" section, but i have a set of brand new RE 3" coils and shocks im looking to get rid of. Dont know when your going to be back in norcal, but if your interested let me know.

I appreciate the offer, and i got another PM selling some coils too. What I told them, and for everyone, is that she doesn't have an XJ yet, and it will probably be a month or two until she does get it. Until she actually has the keys and title, I'm not going to buy any parts, but at that time I'll be sure to look for some good deals on the NAXJA board.

(I should be back in Auburn by May 18th, school gets out in MI the 13th, then I get to drive my 200k mile, 8inch lifted MJ accross the country :D )

mad maXJ said:
I should be back in Auburn by May 18th, school gets out in MI the 13th, then I get to drive my 200k mile, 8inch lifted MJ accross the country :D

So is that two days in Moab or three? :D

(I should be back in Auburn by May 18th, school gets out in MI the 13th, then I get to drive my 200k mile, 8inch lifted MJ accross the country :D )

haha, right on man! I just drove my 8" lift 175k mile MJ 2000 miles to moab and back with 100+ miles of wheelin in between! I make the 350mi each way trip from socal to norcal frequently. I'll be in Norcal for the summer in june, but i may make a trip up mid may, just let me know and i'll bring the coils with. JV is fun, but i miss the sierra wheelin!

mad maXJ said:
So my girlfriend has decided to get an XJ, probably a 97+. She wants me to lift it about 3-4 inches and throw some 31s on it. This will be a daily driver and camping/mild trail XJ. Being the good boyfriend, I want this thing to ride as good or better than stock. I don't want her to spend the money on an OME kit when i feel i can do just as good myself.

SO...

the things I'm thinking I will have to buy new are front coils and shocks:

Coils: RE? OME? other? who has the best spring-rate for a daily driver?

Shocks: OME shocks? are they really that great? RS9000s? Bilstein 5100s?

Stuff I'm going to build or piece together are LCAs, leaf-packs, spacers, swaybar links, etc.

LCAs: I'm thinking a rubber bushing at one end and a RE joint at the other, build to proper length for proper caster

Leaf-packs: I'll use the stock main, and with Dakota, S-10, and MJ leaves come up with a pack with as many thin leaves as is appropriate, along with a slightly longer shackle.

spacers: I'll make front coil spacers in case the front doesn't match the rear

I'm well informed with SYEs, gearing, rock-rails, tow-points, etc that are important to an XJ build, so this post is meant to focus simply on suspension.

thanks
brett

I didn't have time to read your whole post, but YES... OME SHOCKS ARE THAT GOOD! I loved mine (and miss them now that I'm running the ones that come w/ the RE lift), but they were too short.
Billy

Phil Weeks said:
So is that two days in Moab or three? :D
sadly Phil, Moab isn't a part of the trip :( It's at the wrong side of the state, and I'm not going to have my truck wheelable then anyway. Hopefully within a week of getting back CRASH and I are gonna put in my 4.88s up front, then I'll be good to go.

mad maXJ said:
I appreciate the offer, and i got another PM selling some coils too. What I told them, and for everyone, is that she doesn't have an XJ yet, and it will probably be a month or two until she does get it. Until she actually has the keys and title, I'm not going to buy any parts, but at that time I'll be sure to look for some good deals on the NAXJA board.

I moved cross country 3 times from the Chicago burbs to Santa Rosa, CA and then back to the Chicago burbs again and then I moved to Citrus Heights. I liked SR, but it got way to expensive so my wife and I stayed with my parents in Chicago while I finished school & saved $, then we moved to CH and bought a house. I always traveled during some of the worst weather of the year mid december/january and had to take the southern route through Texas, NM, Arizona, southern cal and then up I-5. I love cross country trips though even while brings out 3 vehicles and 2 cats, a dog, and salt water fish. I never drove on a 8" lifted jeep that long. I towed my 10" lifted 94' wrangler on a car hauler. Hopefully we can get a lot of wheeling in this spring/summer when you are settled in.
Troy

Back