• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just ordered a RE 5.5 LA did I make a mistake

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I just placed my order to the new RE LA Xtreme duty 5.5" kit. I am new to the "sport" and because of this and more technical reasons others on this forum have said not to run this lift. My intention with buying the kit was to run it with spacers and 33's for now with no fenders mods yet and 35's in the future with fenders mods. I was also thinking that since i have the money now and who knows about later that it would be best to go out and purchase a lift that will perform for a long time. Even if it out drives me which I am fine with because it wont cost me another grand or two in the future to upgrade to a similar lift and it gives me that much more to learn. I need some specific opinions. My xj is a 99 that is my DD but wont be sometime at the end of next summer and I only drive 10 minutes to work and back everyday with little highway driving on days off.

I put the RE 5.5" shortarm kit on my DD MJ, with fender trimming and 35s. It was my first lift and I'm still new to wheeling.
I think that it was a mistake to go that big in the beginning. Yeah, it saved some money, but it was expensive anyway. Lift, close to $1200, and it didn't even have rear springs (I did a springover in the rear with stock leaves). For the longarm and new leaves, well, you know how much more it's going to cost you. Wheels and tires, another what, $1200 or so. When you have big tires, hell, over 31s or so, you really need to regear. Gears for both ends, labor, at least $1000. Well, don't forget to get at least a rear axle that will hold up. D44? $400 or so. I was lucky, with a longbed MJ I had a 48" driveshaft. You don't. You'll likely need an SYE. $200?

So that's about $4000 and that barely does lift and tires. I think I would have done well to go about 3" and 31s and learn for a while. Yeah, it doesn't look as good or wheel as well, but for half or a third of the price, it's a lot better to learn on.

I won't tell you to cancel your order, but I hope you know what you're getting into.

Phil Weeks said:
D44? $400 or so. QUOTE]

LOL, that sucks. Try $85 a pop, some reason I have a hard time selling them for $250.

You may never see that lift, lol. You can subtract the order, RE isn't even through testing it so just tell them you need a lift asap not next year and then I would order the 5.5" minus the control arms and drop brackets. Then order Claytons LAs. This is what I just did and total was about $1400, just got to know the right people.

You should be paying $500 for an AA HD SYE and Tom Woods shaft package, $600 alittle high.

Money doesn't seem to be a big issue (for you), but experience is the biggest thing. Just don't go rolling your Jeep the first time out.

Good luck, Zach

Zachman,
your idea sounds like a good one, Ill looke into that for sure any more info would be great. Could you post some pics of your xj. the 600 was for the AA and custom driveline installed, hows that.

ZachMan said:
You may never see that lift, lol. You can subtract the order, RE isn't even through testing it so just tell them you need a lift asap not next year and then I would order the 5.5" minus the control arms and drop brackets. Then order Claytons LAs. This is what I just did and total was about $1400, just got to know the right people.

You should be paying $500 for an AA HD SYE and Tom Woods shaft package, $600 alittle high.

Money doesn't seem to be a big issue (for you), but experience is the biggest thing. Just don't go rolling your Jeep the first time out.

Good luck, Zach
Or you could buy Claytons x-member and use RE TJ long arms(thats what I did) RE doesn't have their x-member finished yet(I'm a dealer for them) Clayton makes a nice cross member as for his longarms, they are very well built and functional, but good god the square tubing is ugly.

strokedwoody said:
Or you could buy Claytons x-member and use RE TJ long arms(thats what I did) RE doesn't have their x-member finished yet(I'm a dealer for them) Clayton makes a nice cross member as for his longarms, they are very well built and functional, but good god the square tubing is ugly.

Yeah or use RE arms, Claytons arms ugly? I guess thats an opinion....I like his arms, plus looks don't matter function does. I've seen a few RE arms bend, never heard of Claytons having problems. (Who looks under a Jeep and says your LAs are ugly, LOL)

small pederson said:
you can have a local shop make you a great driveline for 300 plus tax

AA HD SYE w/ custom made cv shaft for $300? Where is this magical shop?

Usually local shops charge more than Tom Woods for a completely new ds because they build so many shafts. I have a great driveline shop by my house they will build me F and R driveshafts for $700.

Are you for real they sell/install an AA SYE and custom DS for 300 bones, if thats true i will drop my xj off on the way to BC next month.

Let me get this straight, wannabe, you post a thread asking for help with this first vehicle and lift and all. Now you post a new thread asking if you made a mistake in ordering it???? WTF is all I can say. We told you it wasn't a good idea get it through you skull.

Renegade,
thankx for a straright up answer, cutting fenders on a vehicle that Ive had all of a month and a half isnt going to be easy.

Jeepguy,
Dont know what you missed but I ordered the kit last thurs. and im not about to make a $1500 decision based on one or two peoples opinion especially when they sound like your replies.

you can fit 32s (and smaller 33's) at stock height if ya trim and tweak the sheetmetal just right. (there will still be a little rubbing but bumpstops fix that up quick)

stock height w/ longer shocks, trimmed and bumpstopped properly will amaze you. the BEST part is, it's still nice on the road!! (my MJ rides like a freakin cadillac on and off the trail :D )

ZachMan said:
WTF does that have to do with what I said xxxxxxx?

I said where can I get an AA HD SYE and custom made driveshaft for $300? That would leave room for what a $50 - $80 driveshaft? LOL, yeah ok xxxxxxx.

Makes you proud to be a NAXJA member don't it? :firedevil

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just called and canceled my order, thankx to everyone who helped/insisted that i do so. Now its time to figure out what the hell I want to run. As some may know by now its not easy for me to make a decision on a lift that alone costs more than some cars that ive had, thanks for being patient and continuing to throw ideas at me. And i hope that you still will. does anyone have pics of the clayton xmember installed i would like to see how much clearance it eats up.

ZachMan said:
AA HD SYE w/ custom made cv shaft for $300? Where is this magical shop?
Usually local shops charge more than Tom Woods for a completely new ds because they build so many shafts. I have a great driveline shop by my house they will build me F and R driveshafts for $700.

right there. now, grab your shoulders, and firmly pull your head out of your ass.

Geez... he said the driveline was $300, not the SYE AND driveline for $300... learn to R-E-A-D people.

"you can have a local shop make you a great driveline for 300 plus tax"

Nope, no mention of an SYE...

Also, I'm curious as to who the hell took an order from a customer for the RE XJ LA kit without informing them that RE doesn't even have a projected release date yet??? Sounds like some piss-poor customer service right there.

Apologies

People --

Some of you are going to notice that your posts have disappeared. With the exception of the post containing multiple personal insults, deletion of your posts was accidental and I apologize. The ONLY post that was supposed to disappear was the one that violated the Forum code of conduct.

Sorry for the confusion I know this is going to cause.

Jeepin Jason said:
Geez... he said the driveline was $300, not the SYE AND driveline for $300... learn to R-E-A-D people.

"you can have a local shop make you a great driveline for 300 plus tax"

Nope, no mention of an SYE...

Are you confusing "driveline" with "driveshaft"? The driveshaft is, err, the driveshaft. The "driveline" is the engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, differential, and axles. In other words, everything involved in transferring power from the pistons to the road.

The shop did inform me about the possibility of a wait but while i was standing there he called RE and they told him that they had ten kits getting ready to ship (no real etu) and if i wanted one to hurry because a few were already spoken for. As far as customer service it doesnt seem to be the best, thats why I have been posting so much about what I want to run and getting peoples feedback on them. Which I would still like to get as I am getting impatient I WANT TO PLAY. Another thing I just had a local shop bend up and install a new Magnaflow exhaust and for some reason Im already getting about 1 MPG less than before after about 150mi. I know its not much but dont seem right. While we were under it we noticed a good sized pinch in the downpipi right off of where it bolts to the factory manifold is that normal or did the front end crush it.

Back