• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter replacement ???

packinheavy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have been lurking here for a while(even registered) but haven't asked any questions until now. The search usually takes care of my problems.

I just replaced the starter on my 95 4.0. The problem is that I can't get the top bolt in all the way. It seems to be binding up with about a quarter of an inch of threads to go. I don't want to force it(I can tell you horror stories about forcing bolts) but I also don't want to leave it that way.

The long bolt is on the top(goes through bell housing into starter itself) and shorter bolt is on the bottom(goes through starter into bell housing). Did I get them reversed when I installed them? Would it be possible to just get a shorter bolt?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

first check to see if you have the correct starter and compare the thickness of the two where to bolts go through. if they are the same, than you may have the bolts switched or there is something blocking it from going in. if thats not the case, you could get new bolts or use washers as spacers.

Back