• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one half door is done..

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got most of the welding done today...just gotta fill up the window cracks on each end, fill up the major amounts of warpage, and paint them. I think they turned out pretty damn well for my first try at body work. I will be doing the pass side sooner or later. I may add a tube or two somewhere, but not sure where yet. _nicko_

170272_14_full.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is tha advantage of that over just simply going doorless?????

XJ "I dont get it" guy

There is absolutely none really. I thought about it all before I did it. It was fun to make, looks better than all the hinges and door jams all over the place in my opinion, and I plan on "trying" to make some vinyl snap on part later in the summer. It's pretty much all cosmetics... same thing as putting on those expensive side markers or whatever else like that....might look nice, but no function whatsoever. Also, I think it'll get the cops off my ass just a little about driving doorless since some of the door is still there :) but I know I'm wrong. I'm also thinking of making some type of tool box out of the bottom part as 1337something brought up quite a while ago. Get some function out of them. And yes I still have the stock door. _nicko_

XJguy said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is tha advantage of that over just simply going doorless?????

XJ "I dont get it" guy

I'm almost halfway done w/ my set and the only reason I'm going half doors instead of doorless is for the individuality. Anybody can take the doors off. :D Plus it'll get me into the habbit of fabbing stuff and give me more leverage when argueing with the cops about not having real doors :eek:

I am thinking about do the same thing, except cutting at the line about half way up the door and making a lockable compartment for CD's ect. Looks good.:D:cheers: :clap:

The Toyota guys do this often. I think they look pretty good. In KY I think you can drive an XJ without doors as long as you keep the mirrors. The reason the Toyota owners do this is because they dont have a raised door sill like the Xjs do. Keeps things legal that way.

XJguy said:

XJ "I dont get it" guy

As some folks have pointed out, some states require doors. XJ mirrors are usually mounted on them.

My opinion is that I want something to keep my lower parts situated.

The niftiest setup I've seen yet are on Woody's FJ in northern Wisconsin (IH8MUD.com). Tube frame doors with a screen/expanded-metal covering. Enough to be legal, keep you in place and still be able to see through.

ChiXJeff

I think the reason you can't just take the doors off anything is the lack of a sill. The raised sill keeps stuff from rolling out off the floor onto the roadway. :)

Back