• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Speaker ?s

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I did a search for this and I could only find infor for the door speakers. What size are the speakers under the dash on my '96? I chcked Crutchfield and they only list the door speakers and the rear speakers. Are they 5 1/4 like the rear? Thanks for any help.

I don't think there are speakers under the dash. Is your sound system stock? If so, is it baseline stock, or the Jensen premium system? The Jensen may have used additional speakers, although I didn't encounter any on an '88 that had the Jensen option.

Like Eagle, my 88 XJ only has 4 speakers. Driver door, passenger door, and 2 in the rear hatch. My XJ also used 5 1/4 " speakers in each location.

I did buy the foam enclosures from crutchfield they offered. They helped push the sound into the cabin, or my audiophile buddy said. They offered two depths, i got the shallower ones and they worked fine.

Yeah, Mines the ghetto base model. I have two speakers under ther dash. I don't have any in the doors. I have two more in the sound bar in back, none in the hatch.

Oh, okay, I always wondered why those speaker grills are there. Although I've never personally seen an XJ with speakers in there, but they'd have to be either 3.5" or 4". Sorry I can't be more help.

i was lookin at those, Not a bad place for a speaker, or possibly a tweeter
I was thinkin about components in there until my friend but his component on the A frame plastic. sounds great there so i dropped that idea.

my 89 limited has speakers in there under the dash. they are tweeters and actually the only speakers that work up front. they are verrrrry quiet though so they might be blown im thinking. sorry i dont know what size they are. probably 2.5 or 3

the reason I said 3.5" or 4" is because those are actual speaker sizes. They only make speakers in 3.5", 4", 5"(rare),5.25", 6"(rare also), 6.5", 6.75", and then you go to subs.

I just tried to put in some 5.25's in there. They will not fit with out some modification of the bracing under the dash. This is on my 96. JIM.

Atl XJ said:
the reason I said 3.5" or 4" is because those are actual speaker sizes. They only make speakers in 3.5", 4", 5"(rare),5.25", 6"(rare also), 6.5", 6.75", and then you go to subs.

My GF's XJ (87 woodie wag) has the jensen premium setup, and only 4 speakers. (normal locations)

however, I wanted to point out that while aftermarket speakers are only available in a half dozen sizes or so, OEMs put all sorts of goofy stuff in.

Goofiest I've seen is in pre-1990 4-cyl Monteros, they're oval speakers about 1"x5" like what you find in some televisions.

Door speakers were stock in an 88? weird... on mine there are speaker wires running to the under-dash speaker locations, and the place you'd usually have the rubber tube to the door from the sidewall is blocked off with plastic plugs (no power locks/windows/mirrors either). I have door speakers but that was definitely an aftermarket addon, judging from the rough-cut hole in the door+panel.

My 91 Limited has the "accusound by Jensen" :spin1: Well, it used to!! All new audio gear now. There are tweeters behind those grilles in the lower dash panel. I have a spare set of tweeters lying about if you want them I'll sell them reasonable. Pm me.

Back