• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil spring removaltring to get the coils off the front of an 88 xj cheif

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
top of spring is small and wont clear bump stop. do i remove the bumpstop first or something? if so, how do i get it out? thanks in advance (lifting it as we speak)

Go to your local auto parts store and rent their strut compressors. Vatozone and oreillys rent em out for about 20 bucks. Works like a charm. HTH

Mike

Yes, sometimes you have to remove the bump stop. Get a large set of slip joint pliers. Grasp the metal flange around the bump stop and give it a tug. Sometimes they can be quite a pain. Think about grinding off the lip before you put it back on, otherwise it might rub your springs at extension and compression. Don't forget to extend your bump stops. An easy way is to use weather strip cement and glue one or more hockey pucks to the lower spring mount, inside the spring. Don't use epoxy or a glue that hardens, otherwise it won't last.

old_man said:
Don't forget to extend your bump stops. An easy way is to use weather strip cement and glue one or more hockey pucks to the lower spring mount, inside the spring.

great idea.

The front is complete as of last night. I started the rear, I'm doing the aal. I got the aal in and repacked it, but i can't get the pack back in. the eyes on the end won't line up. and I can't get the bolt in the front of the pack to thread back into it's home. any ideas on how to re-install the pack. thanks, I'm hoping to be done early today, I'm excited and I'll post a pic when i'm done.

Back