• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheelin' Question?

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
I am going wheelin for my first time with the Jeep. What position do I want to be in on the Transfer Case (4 Full Time or 4 Part Time)? I don't know what either one of those do??

I would say Part time. Atleast that's what I used when I went for the first time myself a a week ago ;) Part time is used mainly for slippery stuff like dirt, gravel, mud etc, but don't use it when you don't need it. Otherwise it acts really squirrly dry pavement. Full time is for when you're not necessarily gonna be slipping alot. It can be used on pavement without squirrlyness. Atleast I'm pretty sure what it is. There's a thing on my driver's visor, there may be on yours :p

- Kevin

If your transfer case is the 242 witch it sounds like with the choise of 2wd ,4 pt time , 4fulltime , neutral ,4 low ..the 2wd and 4fulltime are in GREEN on your selector they can be used anytime any road surface ;4parttime & 4 low are YELLOW on selector they are for loose surface only (gravel dirt mud) 4low is for slow more control and power in difficult areas ,mud, steepclimbs narrow between trees and such. Are you going with anybody else that is familiar with 4x4 ? Where are you going ? Tahuya orv park in the Bremerton / Bellfair area is great for newcomers Good luck and enjoy...

We went up to Taneum Creek (near Cle Elum). I had a blast, for being stock the Jeep Kicked ass. I got to pull a buddy of mine out of some snow, that was pretty cool. I also broke a couple parts on the Jeep (exhaust, electric fan, tire). I only got stuck once in some really deep snow. I can't wait for 2 weekends from now, go wheelin again.

You come all the way to Taneum? Seems like a bit of a drive to me from where you are. From what I hear there's a ton of cool places in this area. Went up Manastash the other week, was fun but had some thick snow in places still.

- Kevin

Taneum isn't that far, just on the otherside of the pass for me. I live right off of I-90 in Issaquah/Renton, so it only takes me about 1 1/2 hour to drive there. It took me 2 hours, cause I stopped in North Bend for gas and Cle Elum for food. I love Taneum, it has some good trails. Other favorite is Lake Kachess or the Sand Dunes in Moses Lake.

Kevin - Nope never ran Manashtash, where is that? I like to drive, so going long distances is nothing. I travel to Shelton, WA almost every weekend to kick it with my father and go wheelin'.

BTW, good name (Kevin), that's mine too!!

It's just outside of Ellensburg if you know where that is. Some of it's the the Wenatchee National Forest just below Cle Elum. I agree, good name ;)

I like that area also. I`ve done the Wenas to Menashtash So. cleelum ridge And i have done liberty for a day and back. Hey Pony are you able to do some waterfalls and Evans creek sat the 8th?

Back