• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you secure your tire on your roof rack?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
As of the moment I have this thingy with a hook on either side and a piece that goes through the tire itself. As of lately when I come home, either one of the hooks will be off and the either mis placed on the rail. I want to figure out something a little more reliable, what do you guys use? I saw something one that went through the bottom of the rack and had what was almost like a giant wing not on top that tightened down.

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin

I have a confer rack with additional supports with expanded metal base. When I moved from the bumper swing out to the rack, I order confer's wheel mounting unit. This was bolted to rack and has been a good unit. The only thing I would like to change is to replace the three studs to a handle type to secure the wheel. Hope this helps.

Craig Wood said:
I have a confer rack with additional supports with expanded metal base. When I moved from the bumper swing out to the rack, I order confer's wheel mounting unit. This was bolted to rack and has been a good unit. The only thing I would like to change is to replace the three studs to a handle type to secure the wheel. Hope this helps.

I think I may have seen that one, does it bolt to the bottom of the rack and have 3 studs? Does it secure some how or does it just sit in there?

Thanks,
Kevin

Mine is just a factory roofrack, so I drilled two 3/8" holes for some eye bolts/fender washers & ratchet strap that wrascal on there. (Barkeater Tech? Yep, sure is! Functional AND tested...)

I just carry mine in the back on the road, and when i go off roadn i just strap it to the factory roof rack with some stretchy cords with hooks on em (real safe :wierd: )

I have a Yakima Load Warrior that clamps to my roof rack with an attachment to lock a spare tire securely in place. Also bought an attachment to mount a high lift jack on the side. They sell aux light mounting gizmoes as well.

I just ratchet strap mine to the roof rack.

Back