• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Rubber leaf Bushing Replacement?

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
(I did a search in this forum first, to gather info.)

1997 XJ, stock, 4.0, 231J, AW4, 30" GoodYear MT/R's.

I will be installing Old Man Emu 2" lift soon and OME recommends buying rubber busihings for their springs.

Dealership wants 19.00 for each front and 27.00 for each rear bushing- too much!

Local parts stores like NAPA don't stock and have to order, I am concerned that the bushings would be proper size.

Rubicon has RE2790 rubber greasable bushings. $54.95

Big OffRoad has set of 4 leaf bushings PLUS shackle bushings for 69.95. The BOR bushings have a metal center for the bolt to go through.

These are the only 2 sets of bushings I could find.
Does anyone know of any other sources?
Which of the above 2 bushings would be best if I have to buy either?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I just did this with stock springs and ended up going with the dealer. $19 for the fronts is a fair price. The rear lower bushings should be about $13 or so. The $27 price sounds like the rear upper bushing which includes the shackle (my dealer was $28 for those).

If you do a search on Yahoo or Google for "Cherokee leaf spring bushings" you'll find a bunch of outfits selling them but most are selling the poly bushings. I found sets of them (12 bushing halves and 6 center inserts) for as little as $39 dollars. From what I've heard they are more likely to squeek, have a firmer ride, and may not be as durable.

Whichever way you go, I highly recommend loosening the lower shackle bolt before removing the spring from the vehicle. Probably common sense to most people, but it is a bear to get loose with the spring flopping around on the ground. Big air tools might help, but my air wrench wouldn't budge it.

I guess you're going with AAL then? If so add up the cost of the bushings, cost of the AAL and the sweat and pain of installing the bushings and then look at the cost of new leaf pack (like RE) and think if it's not better to go with a new leaf pack from the get go.

Jeff-97XJ said:
Big OffRoad has set of 4 leaf bushings PLUS shackle bushings for 69.95. The BOR bushings have a metal center for the bolt to go through.

Factory bushings have a metal sleeve, too. Urethane bushings typically don't, which is one reason they don't last as long as stock bushings. Dunno about the RE bushings. If they're rubber I would expect a sleeve, but I don't know how they could have that greasable. Haven't seen them "up close and personal," so I'm rambling a bit.

Back