• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie with alot of q's and more to come

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my first xj which happens to be my first 4x4. With that I have a million and two questions. I ended up getting a 99 with the auto (still dont know what the model is, any help) and 30,000mi. I have already installed a K&N FIPK only because I got it for $100, Hella E-codes because one of the lamps burnt out and am getting a 2 1/2" magnaflow exhaust installed tomorrow. I have also picked up a stereo consisting of an ecplise deck, soundstream VGA 800.1 and VGA 320.4 amps (hope the electrical system can handle it, help) and two sets of Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 compenents (still trying to figure out how i will mount them in the front, help)along with BA Pro 10's. Today I finally decided what lift I want to go with and I placed my order for one of the new RE LA extreme duty lifts but from what I understand they still havent shipped any so it might be awhile, which is fine because my spending spree needs to take a well deserved break. I plan on running the lift with spacers and blocks with 33's for now. What gears should I run. A buddy has a detroit and 4.88's for the rear that i can get for 500 but I dont know if that will be too much gear for daily driving and trail running. At some point in the future i will prob. end up running 35's or 37's. Also my xj is pinging with anything less than super and am getting about 16 MPG, is that normal. I bought some valvoline partial synthetic today (what do people think about running full synthetic in my xj given the year and miles) and some platinum champions with the intention of being able to run sub $2.25 Gallon gas and getting rid of the pinging. Ill end it there for now as I dont even remember what the first 3 lines in this thread are. Thankx in advance for any advise/help, this forum kicks ass and im now addicted.

Let me get this straight, this is your first XJ and your first 4X4 in general and you are going to put an RE extreme duty long arm kit on it????? I hope your ready for it thats all I am saying. The stereo questions would probably go over better in the performance section, as for the pinging it is sometimes normal for XJsif not run on super. Go for the full synthetic it wont hurt with only 30,000 miles.

What rear axle are you planning for this project? SYE?

Your spending may be taking a well deserved break...but if you are putting on a 6" lift your gonna be melting some credit cards real quick if you depend on this thing for daily transportation.

4.10's provide about stock gearing for 33's, which can be nice with an auto tranny. Not deep enough for serious trail usage. 4.56's are a good middle ground, but I think they put the auto "dead spot" between overdrive and 3rd at the worst speed (around 60 mph). You can't put 4.88 gears in a Chysler 8.25 axle, and if that's a D35...well...do a search. :scared:

Nay

Thankx for the input guys. Ya this is my first 4x4 but this is the first time that i have had the funds to do something the way i want it and i figure that i would rather have i dont right the first time and not spend an extra 1k-2k by putting 2 or three different lifts on in over the course of time. As far as oil i already picked up some partial and will run that see how it goes and if no leaks or oil consumption ill step up to the real expensive stuff. For axles its got a stock 35 for now and ya i have already budgeted for a SYE and custom driveline. I have done aaaaaalot of researching before I decided to do any of this so at least i learning something. I have considered doing 44's front and rear but for now i just need to get it up in the air due to budgeting.

If anyone is running 4.88's with 33's and the auto (any help with final drive ratio's would be nice) what kinda RPM's are you running at say 65-75MPH.

Won't hurt to run 100% synthetic in the engine, keep it out of the autotranny though. Might want to clean the throttle body out and either replace or have the O2 sensors checked. This pinging that everyone is talking about does not seem right, my 98 has over 194,000mi on it and I have NEVER put premium in it. I would also dump a can or two of Chevron Techron in there. As far as the plats go everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that the engine will run great on the dealer supplied OEM champions, NOT champions bought at a parts store. The one time I did that I noticed a difference in the plug construction, the parts store ones were lighter constructed and not the same as the dealer supplied ones.
You might want to consider putting the D44's in first and get them out of the way. With those in there you have a good foundation to work from.

4.88 with 33's should run at about 2,800-3,000 RPM at 75 mph. If this is meant to be daily transportation with a lot of highway miles, then 4.88's may be a bit deep. But honestly, you shouldn't drive it over about 70 mph with 6" of lift, so RPM is not going to be an issue.

I don't want to tell you not to do something...like putting on a 6" longarm kit before you've ever gone wheeliing...so I'll make a recommendation of what I think you should do in concert with your plans.

The most important 4x4 modification is you, the driver. Take your stock XJ out and wheel some moderate trails. Figure out what it can and can't do, when you get stuck and why. Disconnect the swaybars. Add the lift and tires (and D44) and go do the same things, and then harder trails. Figure out when you get stuck, and why. Then add your locker(s) and gears. Repeat. Figure out what needs to be changed, added, or deleted. Chances are slim you'll only do this once.

In many ways it is important to fail as a newbie. Don't waste your money, but be careful not to take a rig out on difficult trails that is far more competent than you are as the driver. With the right amount of money you can build a sweet rig, and it sounds like you have the basics in place...but don't skip your own training in the process.

This board *is* addictive...and can be deceptive...remember that what you are building is severely offroad biased in performance, and it will behave that way by design. Many an XJ'er has gone down the objectives road of "hardcore offroad with daily driveability" and probably 95% of us have succumbed to "hardcore offroad" with another vehicle for daily driving. You are putting in all the goodies...so drop the scales from thine eyes if you think the highway questions are the big ones.

Nay

Nay said:
The most important 4x4 modification is you, the driver. Take your stock XJ out and wheel some moderate trails. Figure out what it can and can't do, when you get stuck and why. Disconnect the swaybars. Add the lift and tires (and D44) and go do the same things, and then harder trails. Figure out when you get stuck, and why. Then add your locker(s) and gears. Repeat. Figure out what needs to be changed, added, or deleted. Chances are slim you'll only do this once.
Yeah....what Nay said.

If your 6.5 speakers are the same size as my Alpine Rs, You'll have to cut out a bit around the stock speaker hole and build it out a bit (with MDF). then just put the stock door panel over it if you can. If not, take a skinny piece of MDF and cut it to the contour of the lower part of the door and screw it all on. If you want, wrap it in vinyl to match your interior color. I took the easy way out at first and bought 5 1/4s, they fit fairly well, and just had to build it out about 1/8". Now I'm planning on putting both sets (6.5s and 5.25s) in the front door. Wish me luck!

RichP said:
Won't hurt to run 100% synthetic in the engine, keep it out of the autotranny though. Might want to clean the throttle body out and either replace or have the O2 sensors checked. This pinging that everyone is talking about does not seem right, my 98 has over 194,000mi on it and I have NEVER put premium in it. I would also dump a can or two of Chevron Techron in there. As far as the plats go everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that the engine will run great on the dealer supplied OEM champions, NOT champions bought at a parts store. The one time I did that I noticed a difference in the plug construction, the parts store ones were lighter constructed and not the same as the dealer supplied ones.
You might want to consider putting the D44's in first and get them out of the way. With those in there you have a good foundation to work from.
As far as synthetic thats pretty much what i have been thinking but since i already have partial i will use it then step up. I have already cleaned the TB, the O2 sensor is a good idea but what are the chances of having issues at 30,000 mi. Ive also done the techron treatment. I have a friend that is the parts manager at my local mopar dealership so i will prob. hit him up for plugs wires cap and rotor and then see about running regular. Any idea on what a decent 44 would run me if i could find one.

Nay said:
4.88 with 33's should run at about 2,800-3,000 RPM at 75 mph. If this is meant to be daily transportation with a lot of highway miles, then 4.88's may be a bit deep. But honestly, you shouldn't drive it over about 70 mph with 6" of lift, so RPM is not going to be an issue.

I don't want to tell you not to do something...like putting on a 6" longarm kit before you've ever gone wheeliing...so I'll make a recommendation of what I think you should do in concert with your plans.

In many ways it is important to fail as a newbie. Don't waste your money, but be careful not to take a rig out on difficult trails that is far more competent than you are as the driver. With the right amount of money you can build a sweet rig, and it sounds like you have the basics in place...but don't skip your own training in the process.

This board *is* addictive...and can be deceptive...remember that what you are building is severely offroad biased in performance, and it will behave that way by design. Many an XJ'er has gone down the objectives road of "hardcore offroad with daily driveability" and probably 95% of us have succumbed to "hardcore offroad" with another vehicle for daily driving. You are putting in all the goodies...so drop the scales from thine eyes if you think the highway questions are the big ones.

Nay
My xj is my DD but i dont drive a whole lot of highway miles so im thinking 4.88's wont be bad if i decide to run my D35. My plan is to have a DD my the end of next summer so that will help. I most definetly agree with everything you have to say about the driver being the most important factor, for sure. As far as taking it out learning the capabilities I have done that as much as possible but its reeeeaaally difficult when buddies rigs consist of a FJ-40 on 38's YJ with flip kit and 2" springs running 35's soon to be 37's and others very similar. When it comes to gears how horrid would it be to run stock gears for say a couple months before getting new ones (money and possible saving for a 44)

jeo said:
If your 6.5 speakers are the same size as my Alpine Rs, You'll have to cut out a bit around the stock speaker hole and build it out a bit (with MDF). then just put the stock door panel over it if you can. If not, take a skinny piece of MDF and cut it to the contour of the lower part of the door and screw it all on. If you want, wrap it in vinyl to match your interior color. I took the easy way out at first and bought 5 1/4s, they fit fairly well, and just had to build it out about 1/8". Now I'm planning on putting both sets (6.5s and 5.25s) in the front door. Wish me luck!
Thanks for the idea i was thinking about doing something similar but i want the cleanest install i can get. I have a pair of BA pro 5.5's but i put them on ebay (ends tomorrow morning, hint hint) and i dont think that they would be able to fill the "gap" between my BA pro 10.5LF's with 400W a piece.

wannabe said:
Thanks for the idea i was thinking about doing something similar but i want the cleanest install i can get. I have a pair of BA pro 5.5's but i put them on ebay (ends tomorrow morning, hint hint) and i dont think that they would be able to fill the "gap" between my BA pro 10.5LF's with 400W a piece.
If you take your time with it and go the extra mile with the vinyl, you can make it so it's nearly invisible.
It's a lot of work, but those speakers should be worth it.

wannabe said:
My xj is my DD but i dont drive a whole lot of highway miles so im thinking 4.88's wont be bad if i decide to run my D35. My plan is to have a DD my the end of next summer so that will help. I most definetly agree with everything you have to say about the driver being the most important factor, for sure. As far as taking it out learning the capabilities I have done that as much as possible but its reeeeaaally difficult when buddies rigs consist of a FJ-40 on 38's YJ with flip kit and 2" springs running 35's soon to be 37's and others very similar. When it comes to gears how horrid would it be to run stock gears for say a couple months before getting new ones (money and possible saving for a 44)

Hard to find a group of wheelers without monster rigs these days :D. Don't choose to run your D35. If your plan is to keep up with these friends of yours, your D35 will be amazingly insufficient, and they will tire quickly of fixing it on the trail.

But this brings up another point: are you planning to hang with these rigs on 37's and do they run trails that require that much meat? If so, a D44 may not be enough axle, and the D30 will be questionable as well. It costs a lot of money to regear and lock axles, so start with the axles you want.

In which case...keep your gears stock, run 33's for awhile, and carry spares for your D35. Search for recent threads on the Toyota 8" axle, which has the clearance of a D35 and by most accounts holds up at least as well as a D44. These can come with stock 4.56 gears and e-locker, which saves you a ton of money on gears/locker. Match the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern to a front D44 with the same pattern. Add an Atlas II for extra low range and you will have a very competent setup on 35" tires. 35's on an axle with that much clearance are going to be extremely effective.

You'll have to share some more info on your goals to really get much more than my preaching...but if I am hitting close to your objectives you should not spend one penny on your stock axles, because you won't be keeping either of them. Don't SYE your case, either. A SYE plus 4:1 kit will cost the better part of a brand spanking new Atlas II - total waste of money, IMHO.

One last thing: whatever you think you are going to spend on this buildup...triple it. Whatever time you think it will take to do this, multiple by a factor of ten. Trust me.

Nay

nay your right on.

Listen you don't need a $1700+ lift to run 33s. Go with the regular XD 5.5". Or even the 4.5" If your willing to trim your fenders it would be even better.

You should just say HOLD ON to the 35s and say NEVER to the 37s. If you have a stock d30 and a gulp...d35 I wouldn't run bigger than a 31" tire. I don't think anyone needs to tell you to even run 33s if you do have a d35. I think this because I bet you probably arn't the most mechanically inclined, since you don't even know what XJ you have. Are you sure you even have a d35, not an 8.25?

I am just saying this based on your post. Anyone who jumps straight to a 6"+ LA lift and is talking about running 35s and 37s when they don't even know what kind of XJ they have needs to stay stock and learn, then 3" lift and 31s.

SYE, driveshafts, gears, lockers, axles, beef for axles, bumpers, skids and labor will add up to a heck of alot of money so you may want to rethink everthing.

Again your plans are so far off I just am gonna stop.

Nay said:
Hard to find a group of wheelers without monster rigs these days :D. Don't choose to run your D35. If your plan is to keep up with these friends of yours, your D35 will be amazingly insufficient, and they will tire quickly of fixing it on the trail.

But this brings up another point: are you planning to hang with these rigs on 37's and do they run trails that require that much meat? If so, a D44 may not be enough axle, and the D30 will be questionable as well. It costs a lot of money to regear and lock axles, so start with the axles you want.

In which case...keep your gears stock, run 33's for awhile, and carry spares for your D35. Search for recent threads on the Toyota 8" axle, which has the clearance of a D35 and by most accounts holds up at least as well as a D44. These can come with stock 4.56 gears and e-locker, which saves you a ton of money on gears/locker. Match the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern to a front D44 with the same pattern. Add an Atlas II for extra low range and you will have a very competent setup on 35" tires. 35's on an axle with that much clearance are going to be extremely effective.

You'll have to share some more info on your goals to really get much more than my preaching...but if I am hitting close to your objectives you should not spend one penny on your stock axles, because you won't be keeping either of them. Don't SYE your case, either. A SYE plus 4:1 kit will cost the better part of a brand spanking new Atlas II - total waste of money, IMHO.

One last thing: whatever you think you are going to spend on this buildup...triple it. Whatever time you think it will take to do this, multiple by a factor of ten. Trust me.

Nay
Nay can you post somemore info on the toyota 8" rear end you got me all excited LOL. What year and model toy do I need to be looking for and is this a direct swap or what will it take to make it work. Just looking for clues thanks

wannabe said:
Thankx for the input guys. Ya this is my first 4x4 but this is the first time that i have had the funds to do something the way i want it and i figure that i would rather have i dont right the first time and not spend an extra 1k-2k by putting 2 or three different lifts on in over the course of time. As far as oil i already picked up some partial and will run that see how it goes and if no leaks or oil consumption ill step up to the real expensive stuff. For axles its got a stock 35 for now and ya i have already budgeted for a SYE and custom driveline. I have done aaaaaalot of researching before I decided to do any of this so at least i learning something. I have considered doing 44's front and rear but for now i just need to get it up in the air due to budgeting.

you did all the research and bought a 99 with abs brakes? LOL

Nay said:
whatever you think you are going to spend on this buildup...triple it. Whatever time you think it will take to do this, multiple by a factor of ten. Trust me.
This should be right on the front page! Seems like the biggest mistake anyone makes is trying to budget time or money...I've learned this lesson too many times just in replacing stock stuff, much less trying to get a little extreme.

Well it appears that Iam only going to get ripped on for the rest of this thread simply due to the fact that I have the ability to do things in a few months what some of you still cannot accomplish in a few years if ever, sorry. Nay I really appreciate your input and would be more than open to more input.

Back