• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from bellhousing area

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
ive got a rattle coming from the torq convertor/flexplate area. there is also a cut in the inspection plate for some reason. does anyone else no what could rattle around there. it is usually the most pronounced at idle and if i slam on the brakes in reverse. its like a tinny sound kind of. any ideas.

also, it only rattles at idle and when accelerating in drive and braking in reverse. if im moving forward and brake, it stops. and if im in reverse moving its stopped until i hit the brakes in which case its the loudest.

Check the bolts going into the convertor for tightness.If loose ,put a little blue loctite on them and tighten. 40 ft lbs.
The flex plates have been known of fracture so check for a crack in it.
Wayne

The cost of the flex plate isn't the issue. The labor is the issue. You have to pull the tranny to replace it.

these guys are right about the bolts and cracks, bolts can be loose and cause the sound or there could be some cracks in the flexplate, i have seen both on my 93 jeep. right now a flexplate for a 93 jeep from dealership is 93$ for the 4.0 engine. its a fairly cheap part but takes HOURS to change. if u can do it yourself with a good tranny jack then i suggest that.

Back