• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Tone Ring

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I have a set of 297x Ujoint shafts that I want to put into the 4.10 front end I just scored, but Im running into a problem...

Getting the ujoints out is being a major pain, so I want to use the press used here:

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/u-joints/index.htm

But they say that the ABS tone ring is in the way. What is the ABS tone ring, I am 99.9% sure that it is the metal round part with the grooves on it. (see attachment) am I thinking right?

Now, how do I remove said ABS tone ring, or do I? Do I need to? I dont have ABS, will it interefere with anything?

Thanks for the help.

I cant attach?

But at anyrate, its the round thing that goes around the whole shaft, right under the ujoints. It has ridges.

i believe if you take the hub off the shaft you can ppress the rings off. Or you could take them to a shop and have them turn them off.

Ghost said:
i believe if you take the hub off the shaft you can ppress the rings off. Or you could take them to a shop and have them turn them off.

Hmm, I wonder what I should use to pull them off? I bet some type of a steering wheel puller would work?

I wonder how much a shop would charge?

AI might be wrong but I think they will press off. The hub nut will be your problem! Once you get that off some bolts in the mount hole a BFH should do it. If you do use a gear puller like me be CAREFUL it might pull the hub appart.

Why are you replacing the joints? Are they bad? If not, leave them alone. All that time of the caps sitting in the yokes, rusting in place making them next to imposable to remove just makes them stronger. When a U-joint fails it is usually due to the cap rotating and working its way out of the yoke. The only way I would change them is if the joints were bad or I was planning to use a full curclip on the caps.

Neil

Back