• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken bolt, now what?

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
You're not alone. I've been fortunate enough that I read the previous reports. I no longer even try to use "Easy Outs," because (a) they aren't easy, and (b) they usually don't result in "out."

I believe I've read recommendations to just punch it out and pass a bolt through from the upper side. One of the older members of "the Fleet" had 'em all snapped off by some previous owner, and they just welded bolts onto the brackets to create studs. (Which sheared off when I tried to remove the nuts, of course.)

Last edited:
I guess you can bust out the ol plasma cutter.......might be a little difficult to not toast your threads though... :laugh2:

Seriously you may consider trying a high speed pneumatic drill...with a bit specifically designed for drilling steel...might cost you a few bucks for the bit though...this happened to me a few years ago with a grade 6 bolt....it took a few hours to fix the error...but it did work.

peace

I think I read about one guy who cut small holes in from the top (in the cargo area) to put bolts in from the top. Just another idea…

I punched it out with an air chisel. The nut is just tack welded on, then I put a bolt in through the top. Takes a little time but I think it is easier than cutting holes in the floor. JIM.

I had one bolt break on the front bumper of our YJ, broke an easyout and spent the next 2-3 hours drilling a hole just a tad smaller than the easyout. Once I got all the way thru or close to all the way thru it it seemed to loosen up and I was able to remove it. From there I drilled another hole just a tad smaller than the bolt then ran a tap thru of the original size, worked. Threw the rest of the easy out kit in the garbage so I won't be tempted to take a 1 hour job and make it a 3 hour job again. Shoulda just drilled it the first time. Once you break one you learn I guess.... Easy out's, the best method to turn a hard job into a nitemare..

Bronco said:
I think I read about one guy who cut small holes in from the top (in the cargo area) to put bolts in from the top. Just another idea…

I did the from the cargo area method. Getting in was pretty easy, you need a 3" hole saw and you'll be good to go.

Thanks boyz, I appreciate the input!
misery loves company......... :confused1

ILLXJ said:
I punched it out with an air chisel. The nut is just tack welded on, then I put a bolt in through the top. Takes a little time but I think it is easier than cutting holes in the floor. JIM.
What do you mean by "through the top" if not "cutting holes in floor"? You got the bolt into the shock sub frame from the top without cutting into he floor? That sounds good.

Urban Redneck said:
I did the from the cargo area method. Getting in was pretty easy, you need a 3" hole saw and you'll be good to go.

Thats a pretty big hole in the floor! I did go through the cargo area too, but I think I just drilled it out til I could get to the spot.

Pat

fab up a shock mount bar

Pat said:
Thats a pretty big hole in the floor! I did go through the cargo area too, but I think I just drilled it out til I could get to the spot.

Pat

I wasn't going to play around with "hoping" to get the right position on the hole. Went big right off the bat, did the work, painted the edges of the cut out, cut a piece of sheet metal to fit over it, siliconed it down and rolled the carpet back over it. Done.

i too used the air chisel method...worked great....i broke all 4 of my upper shock bolts...was able to drill 2 of them out, on the third one the bit broke off...now that wasnt fun...turned a 5 hr lift into a 9hr job...goodtimes..

nxedgexj

Air Hammer, dude... Put a center punch type bit in there. I suggest that you wear safety goggles (and keep your mouth closed).. On account of all that dirt up there is going to come down on you..

"B-R-R-R-R-R-RAP..!! POW!!"

"B-R-R-R-R-R-RAP..!! POW!!"

That method took care of both broken bolts in less than 10 minutes. Another 1/2 hour finagling some new bolts in from the top and I was good to go. You can definately fit a wrench in there, too..

Bronco said:

Drill up thru your holes in the bottom all the way thru to the cargo area (remove carpet first), Then take a 1 1/2" hole saw, and a drill and use the hole you drilled up from the bottom as your guide, drill down till you have a 1 1/2" hole. Then put your bolt thru from the top, and nut it on the bottom. This works great !! All 4 of my rear bolts broke, and this is how I fixed them.

Holy smokes..!! That's a lot more work than using an air hammer...

I am just saying... Is all...

Two steps:

1) Hammer out weld nuts.
2) Put new bolts in.

Just saying...

Bronco said:
What do you mean by "through the top" if not "cutting holes in floor"? You got the bolt into the shock sub frame from the top without cutting into he floor? That sounds good.
Yep, takes a little while to get the bolts in but it is doable. I didn't want to try to weld up the floor. JIM.

Bronco said:

Once you get the bolt pointed in the right direction, it'll almost fall into the hole. Try using some kind of "magnet stick" dealie...

If that doesn't work, find a teenager with arms like bamboo. Promise him/her that you won't kick his/her butt if they get the bolts in...

Bam..

Back