• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console alternative

Okay I've been dwelling on this for a while. It doesn't seem that hard to make. I don't know how to mess with plastics, but say you made a clay form of it on a board, then poured plastic over it. When it hardened you could cut and paint it to whatever you like. I did a couple art projects in high school doing something similar, where I made a design in clay on a board and then with wet, homemade paper, draped it over the mold and then when it hardened, I had the 3d paper form of whatever I had.

Question is, what's the deal with plastics? Can you buy "unfinished" plastic, melt it down, and do this? Am I just dreaming here or is this worth a shot?

SonomaXJ said:
Question is, what's the deal with plastics? Can you buy "unfinished" plastic, melt it down, and do this? Am I just dreaming here or is this worth a shot?
Ordinarily plastic isn't poured...it's either vacuum-formed or injection-molded. I'm thinking of revamping my overhead console as well, but don't have the facilities to do any fiberglass work although that's the route I'd suggest.

How does all that weight hold up there? Looks nice though. :)

Personally I value my head pretty high. ;) I wouldn't mind a light or two, but I can always attach those to the pillars...

Spoken to the guy that makes those as not far from me and also know the guy whose XJ they used. He is a good guy to deal with and might be able to send them over for you without too much expense! You would not be paying for the weight though but the size so it might be worth costing for you.

Gojeep said:
Spoken to the guy that makes those as not far from me and also know the guy whose XJ they used. He is a good guy to deal with and might be able to send them over for you without too much expense! You would not be paying for the weight though but the size so it might be worth costing for you.

The double one is too long, like the single one though... I too value my noggin. Consoles like that were sold in every van shop in the country back in the 70's and were manufactured by a dozen companies, wonder what happened to them all...melted down for scrap I guess.

Gojeep said:

I talked to him and he said that the price wouldn't be worth trying to ship one over here. I might look in to the fiberglass idea myself....cover it with headliner and it would look stock, be light, and certainly be strong enough for a radio.

SonomaXJ said:
I talked to him and he said that the price wouldn't be worth trying to ship one over here.

Ship a few, save on shipping? Group buy?

I'd be interested in a single if the price is right...I have a small LCD flip screen I could put up there, nice and light. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Ship a few, save on shipping? Group buy?

I'd be interested in a single if the price is right...I have a small LCD flip screen I could put up there, nice and light. ;)

Hmmm......if enough people here are interested in the single one's, I'll try to organize something and talk to the guy.

SonomaXJ said:
Hmmm......if enough people here are interested in the single one's, I'll try to organize something and talk to the guy.

OK... someone organize this get a price shipped to US and lets get it going :D I might be tempted in the short one.

Hey I am coming over in July and August to Seattle/Alaska&Hawaii so maybe I should bring a few to sell ;)

Gojeep said:
Hey I am coming over in July and August to Seattle/Alaska&Hawaii so maybe I should bring a few to sell ;)

We gotta talk :D Btw, what do they cost in Aussie money anyways? I looked at the site and unless my visions is too blurred from too much beer to see, I don't see a price.

Kejtar said:
OK... someone organize this get a price shipped to US and lets get it going :D I might be tempted in the short one.

Just e-mailed him, we'll see what he says. I asked about a deal for the single unit ones for up to say a dozen people? I think between here, JU, and Pirate we could probably get enough people.

Gojeep said:

Hey Marcus, what kinda plans have you got? Our Chapter is on a run in late July...

You gotta get in touch with me at any rate. :)

I'm interested. Depending on the price, of course.

Back