• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to upgrade to 32s

john

NAXJA Forum User
my 97 xj has a 4in. lift. I want to use rock crawler street lock rims. What back spacing is the best? How much cutting do I need to do? Do I need longer bump stops and if so what types are the best to use? Any one have a similar set up?

I have the regular Rock Crawlers with 32" BFG All Terrains. 4.5 " back spacing works well. I do have a slight rub when I turn on the street and always when I stuff the tires in the well. I have a 4.5 " lift from Rusty's so I might be a little less rub than you might get. Also sort of depends on the tire you plan on mounting (32 " isn't always 32 ") A set of 2" front coil spacers and extended shackles might give you enough clearance without trimming.

I run 32" MT/R's on black rock crawlers with 3.5" backspacing. RE 4.5" lift and had to do a little fender trimming. No rubbing now.

4.5" RE6130 and AR767 with 4" BS - BFG 32x11.50s and little rubbing

I ran 32s with a 5.5" RE lift and no rubbing. (Rockcrawler 15x8 wheels, 4" BS)

I have 4 in of lift in front from a RE 3.5" lift. In the rear I have almost 4in. here are some pictures. I had to cut some of the inner plastic of the fender wells. these rims have 4.25" back spacing and I run 2" bumpstops. They do not rub on the street at all but sway bar disconnected they do. Take into account my front bumper opening also.
Joe
Front tire shots
www.pbase.com/image/28219640 www.pbase.com/image/28219653 ]www.pbase.com/image/28219653 [/URL] ][URL=http://www.pbase.com/image/28219775]www.pbase.com/image/28219775 [/URL] www.pbase.com/image/28219780 ]www.pbase.com/image/28219780 [/URL] www.pbase.com/image/28219815 ]

thanks all for the info seems like everyone does it a little different. the backspacing seems to vary the most. from 3.5 to 4.5 which is better? is backspacing measured from the outside or the inside of the rim?

I have 32-11.50s on 8" Rockcrawlers with 4.5"BS. I'm running 3.5" RE front coils and a custom 6 leaf pack in the back with about 4.5". If I had a choice I would go with less BS because, after trimming the fenders and flares to just barely clear I'm now rubbing on the inside under full stuff. Not much you can do to remedy this. With less BS I would have to trim a little more fender but that beats trying to deal with rubbing on the inside.
As for bumpstops, in the front you're better off to install a spacer on the bottom than go with longer bumpstops, which tend to rub the inside of the spring pretty bad. This is also basically free by using whatever you want (hockey pucks are commonly used) as a spacer. In the rear just use a piece of square tubing and drill it to use as a spacer between the bumpstop and frame.

john said:
thanks all for the info seems like everyone does it a little different. the backspacing seems to vary the most. from 3.5 to 4.5 which is better? is backspacing measured from the outside or the inside of the rim?
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/backspac.html - I need to update that with some more recent info on backspace with stock Jeep wheels, but the graphic should help 'splain things.

Jim

Last edited:
Back