• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air..do I need this?

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
Don't much want to spend 45 minutes airing back up on the trail with my plug-in-the-dash air system, so, if it were YOU, what would you put in? What system is beefy enough to run air tools, plus what else would you have it do? (air lockers?) I thought about just grabbing an air canister, but a med supply place quoted me 150 bucks for a canister, plus around 13 per refill CO2. Which sytem? Costs, pitfalls? If I do this, is it worth the air lockers on a 35/30 setup, or just go with 44's and better brakes? (disc?). Just got back from Moab, and brakes are kinda to the forefront of the brain right now :p

poomba said:
Don't much want to spend 45 minutes airing back up on the trail with my plug-in-the-dash air system, so, if it were YOU, what would you put in? What system is beefy enough to run air tools, plus what else would you have it do? (air lockers?) I thought about just grabbing an air canister, but a med supply place quoted me 150 bucks for a canister, plus around 13 per refill CO2. Which sytem? Costs, pitfalls? If I do this, is it worth the air lockers on a 35/30 setup, or just go with 44's and better brakes? (disc?). Just got back from Moab, and brakes are kinda to the forefront of the brain right now :p

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22867 :D
Billy

I'm in the early stages of converting my trail rig's factory Sanden AC pump to an air pump. The AC has never blown cold since I've owned it, a lot of the glass is AWOL, the hatch may be heading that way, the doors are jarred open when they are closed etc. All that and the condenser is well on it's way to becoming a large stand-alone tranny cooler (ordered a remote filter gizzy from summit today). In fewer words: I have NO compelling reason to keep it as AC.

I estimate it'll cost in the neighborhood of $100 to complete (including a 'portable' 10gl apprx. reserve tank) I am not clear if it'll have enough hoss to run air tools, but I suspect it will, for a short duty cycle. Mainly I need it for airing up tires on my schedule, but it'll need to power a die grinder/wizzwheel or drill once in a blue moon.

For a rig that IS somewhat weathertight and operated in really hot climes, I can see keeping the factory AC, maybe adding another AC pump in series (kilby?) or one of the stronger Quik Air units (loud to run 'hardmounted' inside the cabin though) I'd rather have a sealed battery inside somewhere and the air comp outside if I had to go with a 12v.

As for the ARB in the D35... Just Say No.

woody said:
I estimate it'll cost in the neighborhood of $100 to complete (including a 'portable' 10gl apprx. reserve tank) I am not clear if it'll have enough hoss to run air tools, but I suspect it will, for a short duty cycle. Mainly I need it for airing up tires on my schedule, but it'll need to power a die grinder/wizzwheel or drill once in a blue moon.

For a rig that IS somewhat weathertight and operated in really hot climes, I can see keeping the factory AC, maybe adding another AC pump in series (kilby?) or one of the stronger Quik Air units (loud to run 'hardmounted' inside the cabin though) I'd rather have a sealed battery inside somewhere and the air comp outside if I had to go with a 12v.

As for the ARB in the D35... Just Say No.

Tanks, Prez..er, I mean thanks! No..tanks works. :)

JeepFreak21 said:

I'm using the AIM DC7000 compressor and it just barely squeezes in behind the left cargo side panel (completely hidden). The AIM is an awesome unit, 3/4 HP (as opposed to 1/3HP in the Thomas) continuous duty with oiler for around $350. (No, I don't sell them)
I have pics of the whole system. Email me if you would like to see them.
[email protected]

kid4lyf said:
I'm using the AIM DC7000 compressor and it just barely squeezes in behind the left cargo side panel (completely hidden). The AIM is an awesome unit, 3/4 HP (as opposed to 1/3HP in the Thomas) continuous duty with oiler for around $350. (No, I don't sell them)
I have pics of the whole system. Email me if you would like to see them.
[email protected]

Wow, that's pretty schweet! I'd like to see some pics.
Billy
[email protected]

Co2, lose the D35.

Lincoln said:
D35 and ARB. What are you thinking? :D

Like most, my XJ came with a D35/D35 combo. I found a used Detroit for D35 in perfect condition for $200. Later I found an ARB for a D30 for $240. I've been using them for 4 months without a problem. Will they eventually break? Sure, and when they do I'll upgrade(and most likely get as much for the lockers as I paid for them). Till then it's cheap thrills.
Is this polishing a turd? Maybe, but it's cheap polish and a polished turd works better than a rough one.

kid4lyf said:
Like most, my XJ came with a D35/D35 combo. I found a used Detroit for D35 in perfect condition for $200. Later I found an ARB for a D30 for $240. I've been using them for 4 months without a problem. Will they eventually break? Sure, and when they do I'll upgrade(and most likely get as much for the lockers as I paid for them). Till then it's cheap thrills.
Is this polishing a turd? Maybe, but it's cheap polish and a polished turd works better than a rough one.

I see your point with the cheap/good used stuff. I scored a set of used D30/35 4.10s & carriers, a D44 4.10 R/P & a hi-# 44 Track Loc all for about $150 IIRC.

Nice Air Pump BTW!

I have decided I hate all you who get the killer deals on jeepin' crud!!
I am happy as a clam to get my lockers and R&P work done for $1500 then I hear woody got his for $150! :bawl:
Hey...who hijacked this thread anyway?
Wasn't this about OBA at one time? :dunno:
Rick

LOL Poomba was askin about ARB 30 & 35 also. IMHO not worth it for 'new' in the D35, but if a deal pops up...it's all about finding & closing them. I once paid $500 + shipping for a Spicer 30 4.56 R/P and TrueTrac. Still got em too, not for sale!

<edit-stupidcomputerGrr> As for OBA, I'm still in midst of converting my 89 Sanden AC to OBA with a 9gl reserve tank...there's another active thread on that. <edit>

Last edited:
woody said:
LOL Poomba was askin about ARB 30 & 35 also. IMHO not worth it for 'new' in the D35, but if a deal pops up...it's all about finding & closing them. I once paid $500 + shipping for a Spicer 30 4.56 R/P and TrueTrac. Still got em too, not for sale!

<edit-stupidcomputerGrr> As for OBA, I'm still in midst of converting my 89 Sanden AC to OBA with a 9gl reserve tank...there's another active thread on that. <edit>
Nod, I'll wait on the ARB's until/if I need 44's or equivelent. Liking the on board air though, we'll see. Lincoln posted a system that looked good, as did others. The engine swap, might run me out of cash, but I know me, I don't wanna run back and forth to a co2 shop, every night after a trail... Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Back