• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel shimmy and slip yoke question

retard_ed_1

NAXJA Forum User
i just put a 4.5 lift on my xj, any now the front end shakes like crazy, i changed a bad hub and seemed to help, but when ever i hit a bump on the highway it starts to shake, also after the lift my tcase started leaking at the seal, the lift came with wedges for the rear end, but is the leak a sign that i might need a sye or is it just normal wear and tear

thanks
tim

retard_ed_1 said:
i just put a 4.5 lift on my xj, any now the front end shakes like crazy, i changed a bad hub and seemed to help, but when ever i hit a bump on the highway it starts to shake, also after the lift my tcase started leaking at the seal, the lift came with wedges for the rear end, but is the leak a sign that i might need a sye or is it just normal wear and tear

thanks
tim

OK, what year XJ? what kind of lift?? what was done in the front? Anyways, for your shakes look into checking all the bushings on the controll arm, and track bar, did you get alignment done as well?

sorry, i guess i should have add more info

its a 90 cherokee, with a rusty's 4.5 lift, i changed the control arm, track bar, yes i got an alignment,i guess i should have done a search on the issue i just did one and theres lots o info, but if you got and suggestion i will listen, also do ya think i need the sye? rustys said i wouldnt need it cause of the t-case drop and the wedge.

The condition you describe is commonly called the death wobble or DW for short. A SYE has very little to do with DW. It has to do with vibrations rattling your teeth out at highway speeds.

The reasons for DW are as numerous as there are parts on your suspension. It tends to be caused by a combination of things, most likely the effect the lift has on decreasing the castor. This is compounded by any loose or worn joints. Common solutions can include adjustable control arms, control arm drop brackets, or new control arm bushings. The track bar being worn can also contribute to the problem. Make sure you are running at least a small amount of toe in.

Welcome to the world of running a lifted rig. LOL

I had the same problem when I lifted my 2000XJ with a 3" Rancho kit. For me, the problem went away when I upgraded to 31x10.5.15" tires and had a RS5000 steering stabilizer installed. I must have been to 3 or 4 different mechanics who, in turn, told me 3 or 4 different reasons for the Death Wobble.

The Death Wobble came back a year later, but I found out I lost some of the balancing weights from my front passenger tire after a nasty bump while offroading. After the balance, everything was fine again.

Back