• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproof Speakers

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting new speakers in my doors and wondering if there's any way to waterproof them. I've gone swimming deep enough a couple of times that water has gone beyond that level.

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for except for the size. I've got openings in the doors and rear lift gate for 5 1/4" speakers and it looks like there's a place in the dash for something small, maybe a tweeter. Right now there's nothing behind there at all, just a built in speaker grill looking thing.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for except for the size. I've got openings in the doors and rear lift gate for 5 1/4" speakers and it looks like there's a place in the dash for something small, maybe a tweeter. Right now there's nothing behind there at all, just a built in speaker grill looking thing.

Robert

your right tweeter's go in there i have some in mine they add a little to the sound, i dont' know if those speakers are submirsable or just water resistant (big difference) i rember a bose demo where they had their speaker under water and it still worked no sound but it was moving

bj-666 said:
your right tweeter's go in there i have some in mine they add a little to the sound, i dont' know if those speakers are submirsable or just water resistant (big difference) i rember a bose demo where they had their speaker under water and it still worked no sound but it was moving

Was this any particular model by Bose or just a regular Bose speaker?

Robert

Bose sucks. Visit any audiophile forum; as I used to, and they trash on Bose almost as much as we trash on JU.

Bose is a poseur speaker. They have awesome marketing skills and a refined image, but their sound reproduction has alot to be desired. I'm not saying the factory Bose sound systems don't sound good, cause they do, but they are way overpriced for what they are.

Infinite, JBL, Polk, Alpine, etc. have so much more going for them. I know for a fact that most of Infinite and JBL speakers come from the same manufacturer; Vifa: a very high quality company that makes no compromises in accurate sound reproduction.

I don't believe that Bose sells their individual drivers independant of the enclosure anyway.

If you really need some good info, go to www.partsexpress.com and speak to a customer service rep. They have god-like knowledge.

:smsoap: rant on Bose off

Why not just get a set of those 'rock speakers' for patios and use them to add to the ambiance of the jeep :D
Personally I don't think you are going to find really good waterproof speakers, best bet is to find a set of poly ones for outside use then come up with a way to totally seal the wiring, silicone maybe. The other alternative is to go to an inground pool builder and ask there, you won't like the prices though. :scared:

check out www.westmarine.com

i have a pair of Pioneer waterproof speakers on my boat. i can hose them off while im blasting music and it doesnt affect a thing!

great sound too!!

might be too big for what you are looking for though

FWIW--i know "bazooka tube" brand, powered bass tubes have a marine version....not sure what changes in that version but that whole enclosure is white instead of black

there are definately a few waterproof speakers out there--search the web

CaptTrev

How large are the tweeters that fit in the dash? How are they wired in?

Robert

Back