• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 speed auto tranny in 87 4l xj

Micha

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys!

i seem to have a 3 speed automatic transmission in my cherokee laredo from 1987. i couldn't get any information about this strange thing as anybody says it should have a 4 speed. but a friend has a 90 wagoneer (same engine, non ho) which shifts differently and shows a different overall performance. my shifter bezel only reads 1, 2, d, n, r, p instead of 1-2, 3, etc...
and if i shift into 1 i really only have 1 gear (i was thinking of the possibility of wrongly changed bezel)

anyway, i hate the transmission and i'd like to exchange it. anybody heard of it at all, what would have to be changed at the same time, how is the electronic different etc...???

thanks,

michael

yeah it's a 3spd. Previous owner probably swaped in a 84-86 A904 that they used in the early cherokee / comanche set up.

ok, so how can i get back a 4 speed?

what years of production can i use, do i need other driveshafts, will the transfer case fit, what else is to be considered?

thanks friends,
i really appreciate your help very much,

michael

Go to the junkyard, pick up an AW-4 and bolt it in. You will need to measure the current one and your current driveshaft before you go to the yard and the measure the AW-4 at the yard and get a drivehaft that will fit if yours won't. The transfer case should bolt right up if its a NP231, however you will need to count the splines on the input shaft of the t-case to be sure. If the splines are not correct get a different t-case or a new shaft.

red91inWA a.k.a. scott f. said:
yeah it's a 3spd. Previous owner probably swaped in a 84-86 A904 that they used in the early cherokee / comanche set up.
No it cannot be a 904 from the early XJ's they have the 60deg V-6 bolt patern!

Back