• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C to OBA completed

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I had a Quick Air II installed in my jeep with no air tank, which worked fairly well for it's intended purpose, airing up tires. About two weeks ago, I came across an approx. 3.5 gal air tank for free, and planned on installing it. Somehow it turned into converting the A/C to an air compressor and hooking up the tank. I followed the write up on Offroad.com entitled A/C to air, and it worked out pretty well, no major complications. I haven't tested it too much yet, but it is a BIG improvement over the Quick Air II. Pretty straight forward install too. I know this has been debated several times before, just wanted to share my recent experience. On a side note, does anybody know how much volume the sanden compressor puts out? I saw on here before that somebody said you can find it on onboardair.com, but I could not locate it.

jb98xj said:
I had a Quick Air II installed in my jeep with no air tank, which worked fairly well for it's intended purpose, airing up tires. About two weeks ago, I came across an approx. 3.5 gal air tank for free, and planned on installing it. Somehow it turned into converting the A/C to an air compressor and hooking up the tank. I followed the write up on Offroad.com entitled A/C to air, and it worked out pretty well, no major complications. I haven't tested it too much yet, but it is a BIG improvement over the Quick Air II. Pretty straight forward install too. I know this has been debated several times before, just wanted to share my recent experience. On a side note, does anybody know how much volume the sanden compressor puts out? I saw on here before that somebody said you can find it on onboardair.com, but I could not locate it.
Volume?
I'd guess have to do with the size of your tank. You probably want to know the output of the pump. The Sanden will fill what ever tank you have, just depends on how much of a hurry you are in. With almost 7 gallons of tank, I find that tire filling isn't a problem. Just make sure that you have a good oiler.

KY Chris said:
Volume?
I'd guess have to do with the size of your tank. You probably want to know the output of the pump. The Sanden will fill what ever tank you have, just depends on how much of a hurry you are in. With almost 7 gallons of tank, I find that tire filling isn't a problem. Just make sure that you have a good oiler.

What kind of oiler are you using Chris?

I'm gathering pieces to convert mine.

I am also interested in the oiler and intake you used and how you connected to the sanden.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago but haven't been able to find a filter I like.

I just used a cheapo air tool oiler, like 5 bucks from Harbor Freight or wherever. I have a fuel filter that I use as an airfilter. Lazy and ghetto, yes, but it's done the trick for three years.

Does the Sanden really need an oiler? Can't you just put oil in the resavor like on a York? I am just curious before I destroy my already weak compressor.

bluexj89 said:
Does the Sanden really need an oiler? Can't you just put oil in the resavor like on a York? I am just curious before I destroy my already weak compressor.

i dont think there is a resivoir(sp?) like the york.

hpi_jeep said:
i dont think there is a resivoir(sp?) like the york.

It has an access port on the side to drain the oil inside, but it NEEDS the oiler...that's what lubricates it. The AC uses oil in the refrigerant to keep the compressor lubed. The York's design allows for it's own reservoir to lube the compressor. My Sanden has lived just fine without an actual oiler...I just put about a oil inside it before I run it, and even then I only run it long enough to air the tires. The separator reservoir is a nice gauge of how much oil has come out of the compressor. :)

:dunce: allrighty then, an inline air-tool oiler and a fuel filter sounds like the trick. What sort of oil are y'all using?

went fitting shopping locally today and got some for the output side, but came up dry for the intake side (intending on reusing the factory AC elbows at the pump.) I'll have to go to the big city for the rest of the junk next week.

woody said:
:dunce: allrighty then, an inline air-tool oiler and a fuel filter sounds like the trick. What sort of oil are y'all using?

went fitting shopping locally today and got some for the output side, but came up dry for the intake side (intending on reusing the factory AC elbows at the pump.) I'll have to go to the big city for the rest of the junk next week.
I'm gonna use compressor oil. One quart ought to fill up my oiler at least 10 times.

woody said:

Woody,

I just quirt any oil I have into the intake filter - ATF, wd40, motor oil etc. when ever I remember. I also use a brass filter on the output fitted so it drains back into the compressor.

Mine compressor was from the junk yard for $45 and I've been using it for a year and a half now with no problems. (tired of running out of co2) If it craps out I just have to go get another.

As for volume maybe you can figure it out but I can air up my 35X12.5X15's from 10 to 25 in about 90 sec at idle with no storage tank. My co2 bottle will do the same in a little less than 60 sec.

Good luck

Ray

Ray

Thanks Limo Ray! If your results are a fair benchmark, it ought to suit my needs.

I think with 9gl (cheapest tank found so far was at Lowes 9gl for $29.99) I'll have no worries.

With reusing the AC elbow valves thet also have a schrader valve. Maybe rig up a manual oiler (vet syringe with a hose like a bicycle pump)

How much oil are we talking here? Just a tablespoon or so each use? Just a mist OIAW?

Not much oil maybe 1/2 a teaspoon or a 1 second burst of wd40.

I'm sure it will work much better with a tank. Mike Lockwood has a small tank with his sanden and it fills the tires much faster since it can store air between tires.

Almost there with the OBA...

Question on the switch. I bought a 95-125# with 4 ports 3-12-9 oclock and one rear center. For now I have input, output at 9 & 3 oclock, Tee on top with 150# popoff, elbow for free Tee port right above the switcher. rear port is plugged

I do have to plumb the little tube/switch thingy up to the pressure for it to work 'auto' yes?

the 'auto' should come from the input pressure. the other port you're speaking of is probably an unloader. This if it's hooked up between the compressor and a check valve will let the pressure out of the line so that it reduces the strain on the compressor when it starts up. it's nice to have but not necessary.

edit: oh yeah. I've been using my AC to air for 2 yrs or more now. no problems. I just give a squirt of whatever oil is laying around when I use it. usually I forget. I have a round lawn mower air filter that happened to fit right onto the port on the compressor and still fit under the hood. I pop it off, give a squirt of oil and then stick it back on and go to it.

Bob

Back