• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brush Guard??

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
I just went down and got me a free Brush Guard for the Jeep this weekend. The thing being, the brush guard is from a 72 Mazda pickup I used to have. I was wondering, are brush guards pretty universal? Where/how do I mount this onto the front of the Jeep? I know it needs to go to the frame some how, but do I need to drill holes or is there a place already suitable for mounting the brush guard? Thanks in advance!!

You're going to have trouble. XJs are unibody, not frame vehicles, and anything like a bumper, brush guard, tow hooks, etc., needs to be properly tied into the complete uniframe assembly.

You can't just drill a couple of holes in the uniframe and bolt up the brushguard directly in all probability. You'll need to fab up a couple of brackets like the tow hook mounts.

Actually the funny thing is, the Jeep already has some tow things in the front. It was towed behind a motor home for a long time, so it has these brackets on the front of the Jeep that were used to tow the Jeep. So, I was hoping I could come up with some sort of way to mount the brush guard to that. Thanks for the info though!!

Alright another question on my brush guard. I have found out that the brush guard does not fit the Jeep. Well, I don't want to go buy a brush guard, cause they are expensive. Now, I was going to get a square steel bar and weld it across the front of the Jeep on the frame. Then drill some holes into that square bar that I welded on and mount the brush guard to that. What I was wondering is, is it okay to weld something to the frame of the vehicle? Or is that not a good idea?

You can weld to the frame rails but it is not a good idea. They are on the thin side and any welding has to be temp controlled. Is that guard wider or narrower than the XJ's frame rails ??
You can probably fab up some kind of mount but unless you get it right it will offer even less protection than it does normally which is minimal if it's one of those expensive do nothing but look good guards. Other option is to get say a tomken steel slab front bumper and with that you can do whatever you want to.

Hmmm, tomken makes a big plate w/2" receiver that mounts under and behind the air dam, cheaper than the bumper and you might be able to do something with that or fab up your own plate to go between the frame rails just make sure to mount it using the factory holes and sandwich it between the front hook mounting extension plates. You could then weld on tabs to mount the brush guard to...

Back