• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alignment question

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
just finished my lift and am now at 4.5 to 5. no vibrations up to 60 but thats as fast i have gone. all i have is a 1 inch t case drop. anyways when i initially went to a 3 inch lift i had it aligned. they said everything was fine. now that i am done is it really necessary to have it realigned. Its driving fine if not better, that adjustbale track bar i put on i didnt change at all as i know the alignment people will do it for 20 bucks more. I am just tryin to save a little money
thanks,
eric

It is necessary to realign. I did the same thing as you. there was a big difference as far as the specs go.

I was kinda in the dark on what specs to shoot for as far as castor went but, like the good folks here instructed me to do so, go for stock specs.

The Toe WILL be off. you can probably save yourself some dime and learn how to do it in your driveway. I dont' know any methods for properly adjusting your castor and getting to the right specs.

do i need to bring tghe stock specs to the alignment shop and if i do what are they?
or do they shoot for that anyways?

i am on my neighbor's screen name this is dellstopjeep.

Last edited:
If it's any shop worth going to, they will know how to do it. They may charge extra, because they have to shim it, but they'll know how to get it right.

Rob

I have yet to hear of a shop that will go to the trouble of setting the caster! They do not go and buy or make the shims needed. I have fixed so many that have been done where this is the case. Even when the ARB factory fitted one of thier own suspension kits they did not do it and I had to do it for them.
Go to my site and you will not only get the specs but how to do it too.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

If your front axle was centered under the vehicle at 3" of lift, it is physically impossible to lift it to 5" and still be centered. You need to re-adjust your track bar -- or have the alignment shop do it before they touch anything else.

dellstopjeep said:
just finished my lift and am now at 4.5 to 5. no vibrations up to 60 but thats as fast i have gone. all i have is a 1 inch t case drop. anyways when i initially went to a 3 inch lift i had it aligned. they said everything was fine. now that i am done is it really necessary to have it realigned. Its driving fine if not better, that adjustbale track bar i put on i didnt change at all as i know the alignment people will do it for 20 bucks more. I am just tryin to save a little money
thanks,
eric

toe-in is easy to do with just a tape measure. look at gojeeps web page.

castor can be adjusted with an angle finder. it makes it alot easier with adjustable control arms.

as eagle stated, you need to adjust the track bar.

any time you adjust the height of your truck, you need to have it aligned. its really inexpensive anyway. i'm sure you know how to adjust the track bar too, since its probably the easiest adjustment ever...

brandon
align trackbar, then drive to the alignment shop.

Back