• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maint. light

i think you have to have an OBD II computer to reset the light I'm not sure. Take it to one of the local parts stores that will look at the codes for you and see if they can reset it for you.

red91inWA a.k.a. scott f. said:
i think you have to have an OBD II computer to reset the light I'm not sure. Take it to one of the local parts stores that will look at the codes for you and see if they can reset it for you.
A 1991 XJ is equipped with OBD-I, NOT OBD-II. The "maintenance reqd" light is driven by a timer in the ECU, and it is designed to trigger at 82,500 miles. The purpose of this is to warn the owner that the Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced to maintain emissions control levels. The only way to reset the light to "off" is to do so with an DRB scanning tool, which is proprietary to Chrysler OBD-I systems.

On my 1992, when it got to 82,500 miles, I put in an O2 sensor, and then pulled the bulb on the dashboard. I just had to remember to change the O2 sensor when another 82.5K miles were up. Too bad my 92 got totalled before I got to 163,000 miles :tear:

Back