• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.75 back space w/TSL swampers

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some new wheels which look awesome , but they have 3.75 back spacing and the large lugs rub really bad from my 31 inch swampers. They are ordering me 4.75 back spaced which I'm hoping the extra inch will aleve a lot of the rubbing. Does any one have 31" swampers with 15x8 , 4.75 back spacing on a 4" Trailmaster lift and stock flares.If so how is it working out ?
NAXJA :geek: NAXJA

i run 15x8's with 4 1/2" bs with a 31x10.50 kelly msr(between mud and allterrain) with 5" lift, i rubbed bad on the lca when i had stock wheels and now i rub a bit on the inner part of the flares... so you may need to trim a little off the inside of you flare because of the lugs...and the 1/4" more bs on yours that mine don't have...i am guessing you have a 10" wide tire.

11.5 " I'm not to worried about some rub. I have been dealing with rubbing ever since jumping to 31"s. Those flares seem pretty tough. Some day I'll be going higher anyway. I may end up with Bushwackers at some point, but not until the boy's are out of the house. They keep killing me with accidents. Broken this, sprained that, hernias, contusions and thats just the last couple months. Typical teenage boy's.
Thanks for the help !

3.75 backspacing is more than 4.75. Your stock rims are backspaced 5.25. So you'll be having more problems with the new rims. You could always adjust your steering stops, you'll lose turning radius but you can make it so you never rub.

Right that is what I had before was stock but 15x7 and they rubbed inside on the control arms , now they sit way far out and rub bad on the flares. So 4.75 will put me a 1/2 inch from where I was at stock. Maybe a little rubbage on both ends , but no huge rubbage on either end like before. I'm hoping anyway. :peace:

3.75" bsing is not more than 4.75" bsing. My calculator isn't handy, but off the top of my head it's approx. 1" less back spacing. :)

49er, I think your new rims will be about as close as you can get to proper backspacing. 4.5-4.75 you should be good to go!! You might have slight lower arm rub at full lock which is easily remedied. And it should stuff just fine, with the help of a little flare trimming.

sorry, I guess I used the wrong word, but what I mean is that 3.75" backspacing wheels stick out further than 4.75. So I don't see how doing that is going to help any with rubbing control arms.

And yes, I think 4.5" is perfect backspacing, it's what I have, and I have very minimal rubbing anywhere.

There is NO LCA rubbing with the 3.75 bs. I had that with the stock 5.25. I figure I may get a little with the 4.75 , but it'll be less. It will be tolerable. I don't mind a little grinding as long as it isn't heavy and metal to metal. My stock
rims had part of the wheel balance weights rubbed down. I like the small turning radius so I'm just gonna deal with it.
I broke out my calculator, your right it is an inch. LOL !

Thanks for all the help Fella's !

You can do a lot of trimming to the stock flares and never even notice it. Rounding off the bottom corner (that's where mine would rub way back when) of the front bottom edge can't be seen unless someone know's what they're looking at.

Back