• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Split rear seat?

ILLXJ

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Has anybody done this? Either by cutting the factory seat or swapping in something else. Let me know. TIA. JIM.

I'd also be interested in this. I'm considering just tossing that back seat out and mounting up a bucket on one side for my daughter. But I need more room and a split-seat would be an option too. Please let me know if you find something out outside of the forum ok?
Thanks,
Frank

I think some of the Grand Cherokees had a split rear bench, I think I saw one at the wrecking yard. I am not sure if the back was split but the seat was. It looked like it used a simular mounting setup as the XJ

Has anyone done this? I'd like to learn from someone else before I did this.

I've seen/read the threads on bucket seats - I don't want buckets, and might be too much work for me.

TIA,

Mark

jmop said:
I think some of the Grand Cherokees had a split rear bench, I think I saw one at the wrecking yard. I am not sure if the back was split but the seat was. It looked like it used a simular mounting setup as the XJ

Our '96 ZJ had a split bench in the rear, but I'm not sure on the mounting similarity. Can't be that much different.

Anything is possible.

I put a set of mastercrafts in the front, and took the front buckets and put them in the rear. Came out very nice. Not a whole lot of open space gain due to the floor bars and the roll cage. There is enough room between the seats for the lap belt attachment points. But it is cool, the rear buckets actually set inside the front buckets so the rear passengers have an unobstructed view of the action.
IMG_1375a(1).JPG

Fab'd up some rails out of 3/16's x 4" plate. The rear of the seats sit right at the cargo area floor. Rails attach to the floor (right next to the old seat belt floor mounts) and the front of the rails attach to the front of the bench framing. Seats bolt to the rails. Rail nuts are reinforced at the floor and bench fame so as not to pull through.

Would have lilked to have seperated the seats a little more if I could have, would be a perfect spot to bolt in the high lift. But I couldn't cause of the cage parts.

VERY interested in the mounting of front seats in the rear. I only want to use one bucket in the rear for my 3 year old and his car seat and leave the other side open for my spare tire.

DaffyXJ said:
I put a set of mastercrafts in the front, and took the front buckets and put them in the rear. Came out very nice. Not a whole lot of open space gain due to the floor bars and the roll cage. There is enough room between the seats for the lap belt attachment points. But it is cool, the rear buckets actually set inside the front buckets so the rear passengers have an unobstructed view of the action.
IMG_1375a(1).JPG

Hmmm, so where are those shoulder harness belts anchored to?

he was talking about the front seats but what he doesn't realize is that what he is seeing are the piece that go into the latch

Wil Badger said:
he was talking about the front seats but what he doesn't realize is that what he is seeing are the piece that go into the latch
Yes, You are right, guess I didn't read the post. My mistake.
But by way of an answer, My front 4 points mount to the floor, as I am using Y harnesses.

Custom 4x4's rear bumper. the tire carrier is in the yard. Only mount it if I'm on a trail where I actually need to carry a spare. ie Tellico.
Most times you are within a mile or so of the trail head/staging area. Why carry the weight if you're a short run to the spare parts or a short tow to the tools?

Back