• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG km's or Procomp Xterrain

BFG km's or Procomp Xterrain

• BFG km's

Votes: 71 78.0%
  • Procomp Xterrain

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters

crazy4mopar

NAXJA Forum User
I need to buy some 35's tomorrow and came accross a deal on the Procomp Xterrain's buy 3 and get one free. I have the 33x12.50x15' BFG km's now and I like them.
Any first hand experiance would be cool. :helpme:

With X-Terrrains wouldn't you need a spare for each side, due to the fact that they are asymmetrical?
TRXus MT.
Hasta.

the direction doesn't make that big of a difference.

IMHO, my BFGs are the shittiest tires I've ever owned.

carnage.jpg

only 2 of them hold air anymore, and I haven't even had the whole set for a month.

I wonder if the krawlers have shitty sidewalls too?

Pro Comps SUCK
3 sets now, all bad experiences
BFG MT's held up well

Well if your really worried, get them from www.tire.com and get the tire warrenty. You can usually plug them well enough to fix them on the trail. Then when you get home, $20 and you have a new tire.

I've seen the X-terains and felt the thin side wall. They felt like the Kumho's I almost got. The MTR's are very thick in comparison. I have no expierence with BFG's but let your hands do the deciding.

I have never had a problem with my Xs and I love them, Have them on both Jeeps... I would highly recomend them they grip very well on any terrain.. For a spare just get a regular MT that way it works all the way around... You really wont need to use the spare but I like to have it just in case

I wouldn't run anything but BFG's. I've run the Rubicon 4 times with BFG's, and have come out with HUGE gashes in the sidewalls without any problems. I just bought my 35's at America's Tire Co, and with their warrenty, if anything happens I can just bring them back and get a brand new one.

Capt. Nemo said:
I wouldn't run anything but BFG's. I've run the Rubicon 4 times with BFG's, and have come out with HUGE gashes in the sidewalls without any problems. I just bought my 35's at America's Tire Co, and with their warrenty, if anything happens I can just bring them back and get a brand new one.

FYI
American Tire and www.tire.com are the same company.

I have the 35x12.5x15 Xterrains and I like them!

I am getting some boggers for wheelin thou, because I want something more aggressive.

Have had no problems doing some pretty hard wheelin with proComps..

just my .2 cents

i have had both MTs and ATs from BFG and will never buy another set. they suck. the stiff sidewall blows on the trail. my XTs have never given me one single problem. i plan on going from my 33s to 37s soon. BFG mud tires imho suck. i have never seen anyone have problems w/ XTs on the trail or street.

bgcntry72 said:
With X-Terrrains wouldn't you need a spare for each side, due to the fact that they are asymmetrical?
TRXus MT.
Hasta.

that is a good point you have. but if you are really worried about it, and are riding in a group, just make sure someone has co2 w/ them and flip the rim and then air it back up. nuff said

i have to ask what size rims your running to blow a sidewall. i've had my bfg muds for about 4yrs now. 35's on 8" rims and haven't blown a sidewall. 8-10lbs of air on the con with no problems. i have riped a couple of valve stems out though.

Why limit yourself to BFG's or Procomps? MTR's are a better rock tire, and you'd do very well with trxus MT's for an all around tire. The Swamper line will be better in mud and mud/rock (IROK, TSL, etc). If companies need to run "giveaway" specials, that tells you their tire is not selling compared to other brands, and they are trying to avoid reducing production capacity.

What exactly is the BFG MT the "best" at? Nothing from any report I've read. Why not look for best in class for your usage?

The answer would be price...but are BFG MT's the least expensive major brand for your usage? Plenty of people seem to hate both of the tires you are suggesting...ask about some other tires and see if you get the same varied reaction.

I personally was absolutely amazed at how superior a *road* tire the trxus MT is to the BFG line (including the AT ko)...much less the rest of it. In the two years I've owned them, everything about the trxus is superior to my experiences with BFG, from road manners to packed snow handling to tire wear to offroad.

BFG has, IMO, lost their hold on the offroad tire market almost entirely, and Procomp is a knockoff brand. Get the best if you can afford it (the best depends entirely on your intended usage, of course).

Nay

explain to me how pro comp is a knock off brand. their mts and ats differ in style and lug placeage compared to the bfgs or anyone elses. yokohama copied the xts when they released the geolander

Procomps aren't the first directional tires nor the first "classic" MT tire. Variations on a theme.

Interco TSL (three stage lug) is a unique design for mud and rock. The MT/R represents a mass market shift away from "mud tires" for rock crawling to a focus on rock tires for rock crawling. These tires have just about completely replaced the classic MT for Western rock crawling, and in just a few years. BFG obviously didn't see that coming considering the design of the MT km.

BFG is still stuck in standard MT/AT mode, with the exception of the Krawler. These aren't bad tires, but they represent 20 year old designs with some added frills. There is a reason that Procomp has not achieved massive penetration in the offroad tire market: they don't bring much to the table beyond price and the usual 4 for the price of 3 sales.

I just wonder why anybody looking at offroad tires would limit themselves to these two brands when the experience-based preferences of a majority of hardcore wheelers appears to be elsewhere. Doesn't mean some people don't enjoy excellent success with Xterrains...but at least in the West the "wow" factor out on the trail for a mass production tire belongs squarely to the MTR. I like the trxus for excellent road snow use and all around offroad performance, but I can't argue the rock superiority of the MTR.

Nay

Back