• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dusy ershim trail

john

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone done the dusy ershim trail in there xj? thinking of trying it this summer. anyone else interested?

Yeah, we've done a few XJ runs on Dusy. It's a very scenic trail, but it's long, about 33 miles. It's best to run it in three days, but four is really the way to go. Ershim Lake is the best place to camp, and it's a great place to stay for a couple of nights. The trail is not difficult, most would say it's moderate, and you would want a locker and 31" tires minumum, and some rock rails.

Don't forget spare parts! This is as close to a wilderness experience you can have with your Jeep. The trail follows a 100 yard wide corridor through the Dinky Lakes Wilderness. Bring cold weather gear, too. You'll spend most of the time around 10,000 feet.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Get all of my photos from that trip here. This is one of my favorite trails because you are so far away from civilization for so long. This also keeps the traffic very low. :)

Man, I have wanted to run the Dusy trail for a while now.
How would a long bed MJ do as far as tight turns? Mine has about 5" of lift with 33" tires, hope to be locked front and rear by this summer.
Let me know if anyone is going, I would like to run it with someone that has been there before.

Wade

Hey Handlebars whats that white truck in the picture on the granite dome? a freind of mine has a ford 150 and wants to do the trail with me. Can a 150 do it? what is easier north to south or south to north? great pictures too

The white truck is a Toyota. He got a bit of body damage, I'm pretty sure an F150 would get more due to the extra width. That is a really tight trail, you have to dodge trees and rocks the whole way and it is easy to get distracted and hit something. Heck, Curtis lost a mirror to a tree that just randomly fell down and hit his Jeep as he drove down an easy part of the trail!

I've only run the trail from south to north, it would probably be easier going the other way because you would be going down the long and rocky Thompson Hill. That is where you gain almost 1000 feet elevation in one mile, that is steep!

I'd like to do this run for 4 days. How is the fishing up there? Lakes look pretty isoloated and might be fun in my float tube.

Thats the kind of wheeling I want to be doing. Damn the desert and its lack of trees and lakes. I think I'll need to get that whole tow rig thing figured out ASAP so I can start getting myself further away from home.

-Scott

Back