• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Conflicting U-Joint info.. HELP??

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Cherokee with the stock dana 30 vacrap disconnect axle, a guy wants to sell me a LP 98 TJ Dana 30 for it's one piece axle shaft so I can eliminate my vacrap junk. I heard the 95+ Dana 30's came with the larger u-joints but on AutoZone.com (I work there) it gives me the same part numbers as my Cherokee U-joints. Are they bigger or not? If not I'm gonna pass on it for $100 bucks.

The listing for the '91 should show two u-joints. The larger was used with ABS and the smaller was used w/o ABS.

Try looking up the axle u-joints for an 87 or 88. They didn't offer ABS in those years. If you get the same number as for your '91, that's the small one. If you get a different one, the AutoZone computer may be defaulting to the ABS style for the 91 model year.

TB-XJ said:
It shows the same for ABS as non-ABS it must be wrong. They didn't start the larger u-joints til 95 though didn't they??

Hmm, that's not right. I looked that up a few months ago and even Autozone has different listings (correct listings). If an XJ has ABS, doesn't matter what model year, it had the bigger joint.

TB-XJ said:
I have a 91 Cherokee with the stock dana 30 vacrap disconnect axle, a guy wants to sell me a LP 98 TJ Dana 30 for it's one piece axle shaft so I can eliminate my vacrap junk. I heard the 95+ Dana 30's came with the larger u-joints but on AutoZone.com (I work there) it gives me the same part numbers as my Cherokee U-joints. Are they bigger or not? If not I'm gonna pass on it for $100 bucks.

If you don't currently have ABS, then the TJ axle shafts WILL give you the bigger u-joints. Even though you don't need the low pinion housing, the axle shafts are a deal at $100....I'd jump all over it. Additionally, I think the TJ knuckles are a little stronger than the XJ knuckles, so you could use them if you wanted to. Check the unit bearings, there was a slight change in width at some point, but I don't know what year, so the TJ unit bearing is probably different from your XJ unit bearing. You can interchange the two width unit bearings if you use a small wheel spacer behind the rotor with the later model unit.

Back