• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Swaybar Pin Removal

the pins are pressed in. you can hit it with a hammer. if that doesnt work, you may need to heat it up with a torch.

As other people have said - they press out. However, one of mine would not press out. Large C-clamps were bending and still not moving the pin. We had to take a metal cutting torch to get it out.

Good luck.
-Brian

sprinkler1228 said:
What's the best proven way to get the pins out. It seems they are welded to the frame.Any help would be great.

I found that when I attempted to hit it out with a hammer first it wouldn't go but when I put a t55 torque head on my 1/2" ratchet, I was able to break the pin loose in the mount, then hit it with the hammer and it popped right out.

OK both of mine came out, no problem, no c-clamp, no hammer, no wrench, nothing. One was even bent. I guess wheelin it stock loosened things up a bit.

The term "pin" is confusing to me. I assume you mean the lower swaybar link mounting bolt, correct?

If so, then the BEST WAY, bar none, is to use an AIR CHISEL. Place the tip of the chisel at the juncture of the head of the bolt and the bracket, and hit the trigger.

Two or three seconds of impact will pop the bolt out of it's interference fit splined hole in the sway bar bracket on the axle housing.

on my 99 axle i had to heat and beat it on both sides.. which kept bending the brackets.. my 87 axle has cast mounts which didnt bend at all.. because the bolts damn near fell out when i whacked them.. just be careful when your swinging the BFH

mike

Back