• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Removal

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i alreday took off the driver side door and im loving it. And you wouldnt believe the crazy looks i get from people. So now i ve decided to move to the other side. But when i went to take it off the torx bit just kept slipping so now nothing will grip in the bolt head. I need some ideas as of how i can still get it off. Will the pin tap out so i wont have to worry about the bolts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Scott

how did you manage that in such a small space. And once you got that done what did you use to hammer the pin out. And also did you then just flip the pin over so you could drop the door on. Thanks, Scott

i used an air chisel to hammer the pin and bottom part of the hinge out. i was unable to get the pin out of the lower part of the hinger, so i went to the hardware store and got some bolts that were the same size, and cut the threaded part off. dropped the bolts in from the top.

A dremel would also work to cut the hinges off. But watch out, cuz I burned mine out trying to do it, and I still didn't get all of the bottom hinge cut off.

Doors off? are you guys nuts?
Anyway I have had mine removable for a while and love it. FYI the pins in the door are almost exactly 1/4" I used pull pins so they can come out easy. As for the doors coming off in a crash I think not. I seen quite a few wrecks (EMT) and not many times I was like good thing those hinges where there. Usually the door is crushed shut so if anything you are helping the firefighters get the doors off. DIG IT!

I took the harness out of the door and mounted it under my dash. didn't have to change anything but the 4 wires that go to the power window motor and power lock. I just had to extend them about a foot each. Worked very well. I can still control the back windows when I have my front doors off. I just unplug the harness when I take the door off.

The passenger door is easy. Just unplug the harness at the kick panel.

Codeman said:
ok, so what have ya'll done about the wiring? I like my automatic locks and windows. :)
Codeman

if you read my writeup on www.projectxj.com you'll see that I have power windows and locks too. I just leave my kick panels off and unplug the factory plugs that are already there when I remove my doors. Takes about 2 minutes.

Hey Fatwreck, what did you use to cut the bottom of the hinge off? I tried using a dremel, but it could never cut all the way through. Plus I might need a new one now, mine seems to be fried

Back