• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Block or Stroker

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA forums are the best!!

The 4.0 is getting some miles.. so I am starting to weigh options...

What are your thoughts on rebuilding the 4.0 as a stroker or drop a 350 into the 88 XJ?

I'm running a NV3550 which is compatible with a 350 via Advance Adapters.

Some more info:
88 XJ - NP231 - 6" lift - 33" Tires - NV3550

i would go the 350. that is what i plan on doing when i get my use out of the 4.0. as soon as i reach 200K the 4.0 is done and a 350 w/ about 25-35k on it is going in.

You'll prolly need to start thinking about strengthening the unibody for the added torque, maybe like a cage or something...it might not be all necessary, but just something to think about. What kind of axles are you running?

I was debating on the same thing, but I'm going to build a stroker instead

Stroke it!

once again stroke it, droping a v8 in will be alot more work than you think to get it right where a stoker is a bolt in and is very efective.

If you're comfortable doing either and are looking for the most power then by all means drop in the V8. A stroker will give you an increase in HP and torque but it won't equal even a mild small block. TC

I've done the small block swap so I can't really be objective. Yes a stroker will give you the same output as a stock small block but will fall short to a lightly modded SBC.

Think about the cost...stroker builds are not cheap. You dump an injected SBC into your rig for cheaper.

These are somethings that I ran into when doing the swap:
-You need a remote oil filter unless you have a pass drop front axle.
-Headers are a complete custom job...I haven't been able to find anything off the shelf that will fit. This INCLUDES the CRAP headers sold by AA.
-Cooling with a closed loop radiator is a problem.
-SBC with iron heads and Al intake is 175lbs heavier so your front end is going to drop.

Back