• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this true/false?

It might work but it would send a crap load of gas through your exhaust. II wouldnt do it. Its like what you do to make fire come out your exhaust.

doesn't seem healthy.

Yeah it does work, I don't remember what use the same type of thing. Large equipment trucks maybe? You also have to unhook the injector or gas line to the cylinder though. And no you won't pump more gas through your exhaust, your just running the engine on one less cylinder.

Not sure if their exact method is correct though.

It's doable - I've seen industrial setups built on small block Fords and Chevvies where they run on one bank and use the other for an air compressor, and use the power output to run a dynamo or a shop pump...

Would I do it with a driving engine? Only if I REALLY had to - I'd sooner use a little two-lunger for a dedicated compressor if I could.

5-90

That's a very old trick, and was used way before all the 12V compact air compressors came to the market. We had one of these set ups that we used on our old CJ when I was in high school (mid 60's), and used it to fill up the Jeep tires and our dune buggy tires. The parts for it were offered for sale back then, we didn't have to make our own.

Goatman said:
That's a very old trick, and was used way before all the 12V compact air compressors came to the market. We had one of these set ups that we used on our old CJ when I was in high school (mid 60's), and used it to fill up the Jeep tires and our dune buggy tires. The parts for it were offered for sale back then, we didn't have to make our own.

Yeah, JC Whitney used to sell the kit. And that was back in carburetor days, so every cylinder got the same fuel/air mix -- you didn't have the option of disconnecting one injector so you pumped only air.

I have one sitting right here in a zipper bag with 12ft of hose and tire/tube repair parts. I use it on the motorcycles, pull a plug screw in the sparkplug sized compressor and fire up the engines other 3 cylinders. Works pretty good but there is even with that little mini-cylinder compressor sitting outside the engine some 'fuel vapor' seepage into the compressor, it's not a good idea to smoke around the tire valve when you get the tire repaired permanently at a shop. I used it quite a bit when I took my bike up to hudsons bay from boston one year and out to nova scotia and newfoundland on a 3 week camping touring vacation back in 81 or 82.

does it acually produce enough CFM for tooling/etc..anyone have any rough Ideas on some numbers?

Thanks

-Red

ChuckD said:
Hey can you run and ARB off that! :D:D:D:D

Chuck, I'll get you one of those blood pressure cuff hand pump things so you can run your ARB. :gee:

I have a question. What keeps the air from running back into the cyl. on the ignition stroke? I can see how it would 'blow' air during the compression stroke. But with both valves closed and the piston traveling downward, what keeps air from going backwards, is there some sort of reed valve instaled that I missed?

Have to be a ball check or something like it, sort of like a compression tester. A little off subject, but relavent, is spraying some ether into a tire off the bead and lighting a match, will often pop it back on the bead. Also remove facial hair and leg hair.

8Mud said:
A little off subject, but relavent, is spraying some ether into a tire off the bead and lighting a match, will often pop it back on the bead. Also remove facial hair and leg hair.
and possibly Testicles!

That used to be a very common practice for field mechanics years ago. That procedure has been banned by OSHA, MSHA, and just about every other alphabet soup orginization out there. It is very dangerous!

seanR said:
I have a question. What keeps the air from running back into the cyl. on the ignition stroke? I can see how it would 'blow' air during the compression stroke. But with both valves closed and the piston traveling downward, what keeps air from going backwards, is there some sort of reed valve instaled that I missed?

Assuming you're just filling tires then the Schrader valve will prevent air from flowing back into the port.

Think real hard before you do this, unless the fuel is cut off, you are pumping 12-14 to 1 air-fuel mix into an enclosed area. Reason I mentioned, the old timers method, of exploding a bead back onto a rim. Any kind of spark (static electricity) could set it off. :nono:

Back