• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doors

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i just removed the driver dor and its looking pretty sweet. BUt when my mom comes home, she freaks out about how illegal it is. So if any body out there knows the legalities of this issuse and could tell me were to find the laws actually written out thatd be cool. Oh yeah and I live in richmond Va if that helps at all. Please help me get her off my back, thanks alot

Scott

Just keep it off and gradually she will get tired of scolding you about it.

Its not illegal here in BC, although you still have to have a driver's side rear view mirror. If you are worried about legality, just call your local DMV, they will tell you what the requirements are. I would bet you could make a quick tube door and put it in the regular door's place.

It's illegal in WA too. Most will not be hassled, but can be. Wranglers/CJs been doing it for years, so it almost looks normal, but looks odd on an XJ, and I'd expect to get hassled more. WA state laws state that a vehicle must be equipped with all body panels it left the factory with. That's all Jeeps since around 78(ish) when CJ doors were no longer an option, and came standard equipment.

I asked a Sheriff buddy of mine if he'd pull over an XJ wihout doors and he said 'yes'. I asked about Wranglers, and he said 'no'. I asked him why and he couldn't explain it. It'll depend on the cops, and if they enforce it. If you XJ looks like a rolling death trap, you'll probably get nailed.

WA state laws also state that no exhaust may be modified to a point where it creates more noise than the factory one. They don't exactly enforce that one either.

Steve

I just did the removable door mod, but had been driving in NY for 2 weeks with no stops. I live in a college town too and haven't gotten stopped yet.

My buddies wranger only has rear view when he takes doors off. In my defense if i get stopped when I'm going somewhere with him I'll be sure to ask why he didn't pull the wrangler over for no drivers side mirror.

I got a 2 door too, so it looks more of a deathtrap.

Yet riding a motorcycle isn't illegal. Where are their doors? I love riding my bike, but If I get hit, I guarantee I have less of a survival rate than a dude in a doorless XJ.

If not having doors is illegal in your state, then your state sucks. A guy should be able to ride doorless if he damn well pleases. Geez, the things government will legislate about. :soapbox:

I say, threaten to buy a motorcycle... then your mom will forget all about your XJ's doorlessness. (word?)

Willis said:
It's illegal in WA too. Most will not be hassled, but can be. Wranglers/CJs been doing it for years, so it almost looks normal, but looks odd on an XJ, and I'd expect to get hassled more. WA state laws state that a vehicle must be equipped with all body panels it left the factory with. That's all Jeeps since around 78(ish) when CJ doors were no longer an option, and came standard equipment.

I asked a Sheriff buddy of mine if he'd pull over an XJ wihout doors and he said 'yes'. I asked about Wranglers, and he said 'no'. I asked him why and he couldn't explain it. It'll depend on the cops, and if they enforce it. If you XJ looks like a rolling death trap, you'll probably get nailed.

WA state laws also state that no exhaust may be modified to a point where it creates more noise than the factory one. They don't exactly enforce that one either.

Steve

i got the impression that you had to have a ledge along the floor so nothing could roll out and have a rear view mirror and everything was cool. hmm...maybe if you put on those safari doors or something

my advice would be do it, get pulled over to the point where the cops just dont care anymore, like you can do with your mom. the illegal jeeps in my town have long since trained our law enforcers.

Well, I was going to work the bugs out on the first door and then take photos and write up a little info while I do the second door. The second door just arrived from E-bay yesterday. I've got a couple of busy week-ends then a week out of town. It's going to be a while before I get started on it. Any particular info you want go ahead and PM me.

Thanks for the compliment on it.

Daryl

I LIKE THAT !! gOOD jOB!! I have known of people to get death wobble running no doors so just dont forget to beef her up. That is just something for the guys that just take off all there doors and call it good to think about . 4X4XFAR

4x4xfar said:
I LIKE THAT !! gOOD jOB!! I have known of people to get death wobble running no doors so just dont forget to beef her up. That is just something for the guys that just take off all there doors and call it good to think about . 4X4XFAR
And the doors tie into the front suspension where?

Okie Terry said:
And the doors tie into the front suspension where?

I assume it has something to do with the weight distribution more than the suspension. I've heard of people getting death wobble but it stops when they have a passenger with them. Probably something like that.

- Kevin

And the passenger Ties into the front suspension! WHere? Lol Structure. Think about it when you flex the xj up you cant open your hatch or shut your door sometimes. And if your suspension doesnt flex niether will your XJ. Just reverse that thought and it should help you figure it out. 4X4XFAR

4x4xfar said:
And the passenger Ties into the front suspension! WHere? Lol Structure. Think about it when you flex the xj up you cant open your hatch or shut your door sometimes. And if your suspension doesnt flex niether will your XJ. Just reverse that thought and it should help you figure it out. 4X4XFAR
Anybody that thinks that a hinged door or some flimsey-ass fiberglass hatch strengthens an XJs unibody structure is diluted.

Anyway, JEONLYEP, watch out that you don't get a flat tire the next time you open your glove box. I've known of that happening.:D

Many believe the doors are integral to structure of the vehicle. I don't imagine the death wobble really was the result of the structural integrity of the XJ, (at least by itself) but weirder things have happened. I mean, it's got to affect it a little.

DW is a stupid phenomenon in which for some... there is no cure. No amount of experts can figure some of the cases out. Too many factors, and EVERY XJ is so different. So.. give the brotha a break... Geez.

Back