• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutserts/well nuts

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
For factory roof rails, what is strongest type of fastener? I have heard of nutserts, jack-nuts and well nuts. I dont want to buy an expensive tool that I will use only once, but want the rails to be attached to the roof as strong as possible.

Thanks for the link, that is the best one I have seen so far. All the others want you to buy 200 or an expensive tool. Just a thought, that seems to be an aircraft fastener. Just thinking that maybe the sheetmetal shop at my Guard Base may have a few of those, HMMMM Also, what is your thought for thread size?? I was thinking 1/4-20 to mount the runners to the roof

Last edited:
Why expended ones, thats all. Or point me to their local supplier. Come-on remember who you are talking to. Then again, if you would like to be the one to call... Maybe the General can release me from stop-loss so I can go back to work, would you like the #

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/30700-30799/30769.gif
30769.gif

the part#30769,I used 1/4"-20's on my rockrails!

Last edited:
SPSERG said:
Why expended ones, thats all. Or point me to their local supplier. Come-on remember who you are talking to. Then again, if you would like to be the one to call... Maybe the General can release me from stop-loss so I can go back to work, would you like the #

Stop-loss sucks a$$!

I don't know if the Sheet metal shop would have them. But your right, they should know a vender or two.

The actual nutzerts are pretty cheap, like Matt I found them at a local fastner supply store here in Fresno. One that caters to nothing but all kinds of fastners. Probably in your industrial district of your city.

All-n-all I'm just poking fun, today I'll be wearing an extra set of desert BDU pants to work on my jeep. :shhh:

No hard feelings... the link that I was sent earlier, has A/C nutserts and a hand tool. I like the idea of the fastener being A/C grade. Possibly the sheet-metal shop has the shop grade tool that I could sign out to install them.

My 84 well nuts were completely gone so the rack was rattling. Had to redo the headliner anyways, so while it was out, I used countersunk SS screws, fender washers, lock washers and nuts to reattach it. Used small squares of some selfsealing roofing that I had around between the rack and roof and between the fender washer and inside roof. A 1/2 inch washer keeps the bolt centered in the hole. Know it's over build but I can use it for a jacking point now. :rolleyes: hahaha

I used the nutserts as a guide and cut a hole with a small hole saw. Then took a piece of stainless rod, cut several lengths and drilled and tapped them with a bottoming tap. They were then welded in place not only to the sheet metal of the roof but to the unibody beneath. Then primed and painted over. It was a bit of time but spread over a few months, not a big deal. Can't immagine anything stronger short of a full roll cage.
mattk

The stock holes in the roof that the original well nuts or nutserts or in are 1/2" holes. This allows the use of a 3/8" nutsert. The hand tool pictured above by RCP will work, but you will need the grip of a vise to install the heavy duty nutserts of this size. I'm a pretty big boy & I have a hard time using it. The little install tool works really well, is cheap, & all you have to do is get a knew bolt to freshen it up once in a while (the thread wears on the bolt after 10-15 installs). Use a light oil to lube the threads before every install & you don't have to torque the bolt down too hard. You'll feel it when the nutsert bottoms out.

Matt

You should know that its just not much of a project to go ahead and remove the headliner and install doubler plates. This is what I did after finding out how thin the sheet metal is on the roof. A load of screws is about all there is to it. Maybe a couple of hours are added to the project....
Rick

Just for FYI... My 2 door XJ never came with a factory luggage rack. So I will be proceeding from scratch. I had the idea of pulling the headliner back out, and going with the route of srews and backing plates. My hesitation is that I have heard stories of fatigue cracks in the sheetmetal developing.

Sp man...if you base has planes then you have an AGE shop. Go there they will have some. You can most likely hand recipt the tool out too. ohh....AGE are the guys that take care of all the green equipment.....like the heaters that keep you warm in the winter. :wave1:

P.S. Hope the other AGE guys have been treating you well.

Back