• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Please !!!

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Grizzley is here at my place and we're trying to get the '84 4-cyl going so he can drive it home to Massachusetts. It starts and runs fine for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it cuts out and dies, and won't restart until it has sat for an hour or more.

We throught it might be the ignition coil overheating. Picked up a new coil from Autozone -- no joy. Still won't start.

This is not the fuel injected 4-cyl. The '84 was carbureted and uses an old-fashioned high energy ignition. Has anyone had any experience with this system? Any ideas?

I had a Ranger that did that. It turned out it was the junk AMC ignition module that mounted on the fender well. The board would flex when it got hot from the engine running. Once the board cooled the truck would start fine and run perfect. Board got hot again, nothing.

Eagle said:
Grizzley is here at my place and we're trying to get the '84 4-cyl going so he can drive it home to Massachusetts. It starts and runs fine for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it cuts out and dies, and won't restart until it has sat for an hour or more.

We throught it might be the ignition coil overheating. Picked up a new coil from Autozone -- no joy. Still won't start.

This is not the fuel injected 4-cyl. The '84 was carbureted and uses an old-fashioned high energy ignition. Has anyone had any experience with this system? Any ideas?

Does it have a CPS? when my CPS was going out it had to sit for at least 15 minutes before it would restart, but then it started and ran fine. Also look at any components that might heat up and then require a cool down period before working again.
Also what are the symptoms for that ballast resistor? I could see it being affected by temp and fouling everything else up. Btw how is it not restarting: no spark, no crank?

Cranks but no spark. Does not have a CPS.

Sounds more like the flakey ignition module. Autozone says they have one, so I guess we'll return the coil and try that next.

Thanks. Anyone with other ideas, please add your suggestions. We'll be back in about 45 minutes.

I had a problem with my 85 model...i adapted a "blue grommet" ford ignition module for stand alone operation...the stock ignition module does interface with the ECM...but the ECM does not directly control timing like on an injected motor...there is no CPS...the ECM does provide for ignition retard when the knock sensor detects pinging..

sorry, the only help I can offer is moral support, I know you guys can fix it!! Lol. If you were at grizzleys I'd come over and help poke around but you're not. Maybe I can make it down tomorrow to help poke around if it's still busted. I'm good with electrical stuff and might be able to help!
Mark

AutoZone had an ignition module in stock, so we grabbed it. Started right up. It would start before, after cooling off, but needed less pumping of the gas to start so we're thinking it has better spark. Letting it idle for awhile to warm up and try to heat-soak it before we hit the road for Massachusetts.

Mark, Grizzley says thanks, and he'll catch up with you soon.

So far, it looks like Howey wins the long distance remote diagnostics award for the night.

YEA! Made it home. Disconected the negative cable for now until I can figure out why the radio lights stay on.

Has an intermitent engine cut-out. Happened maybe 10 times on the way home. It happens real quick and the engine continues running. That'll be fun to track down. I don't think it's in the column as it happens left, right or straight. The whole drivetrain unloads for a split second and then continues. Had a half tank and I dumped a bottle of gas line antifreeze into it when I filled it up. Might be more water in there. I'd think that would make it sputter instead of the running-off-running that it is doing. Ah well. Thanks for all the help guys. Mark, I've got Tues. Wed. off this coming week with a little time in the morning Sunday. Time to get some sleep. Eagle, you better post here so I know you got home.

I got home. Slightly breary-eyed, but intact. I'm glad to know you made it.

Grizzley said:
YEA! Made it home. Disconected the negative cable for now until I can figure out why the radio lights stay on.

Has an intermitent engine cut-out. Happened maybe 10 times on the way home. It happens real quick and the engine continues running. That'll be fun to track down. I don't think it's in the column as it happens left, right or straight. The whole drivetrain unloads for a split second and then continues. Had a half tank and I dumped a bottle of gas line antifreeze into it when I filled it up. Might be more water in there. I'd think that would make it sputter instead of the running-off-running that it is doing. Ah well. Thanks for all the help guys. Mark, I've got Tues. Wed. off this coming week with a little time in the morning Sunday. Time to get some sleep. Eagle, you better post here so I know you got home.
My '85 used to do that - the drive train would unload, then load back up with a bang. I never did figure it out before the engine fire, but I alway suspected the automatic transmission rather than the engine cutting out. It was rather disconcerting the first time it happened, but it was so infrequent that it was hard to track down.

djinn said:
My '85 used to do that - the drive train would unload, then load back up with a bang. I never did figure it out before the engine fire, but I alway suspected the automatic transmission rather than the engine cutting out. It was rather disconcerting the first time it happened, but it was so infrequent that it was hard to track down.

Engine fire, Oh good, thanks! :flame: Hope it wasn't related in any way. Course, kind of hard to tell when the engine compartment is toast. :wow: I noticed that while I was driving and it happened, that I could almost hear a small pop like a backfire through the carb. Since it was rainy last night, it is very possible I have a cracked wire somewhere that caused it to crossfire for a sec, then got vaporized by the amperage. No rain today so I'll find out in a couple of hours how it runs on the way to work and see what happens.

Grizzley said:
No rain today so I'll find out in a couple of hours how it runs on the way to work and see what happens.

Be sure to keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know if it started and ran today :angel:

OK, started up fine today and made it down to work with only two hesitations (?) for lack of a better word. Went out on break and poked around. The vacumn control is lose. Actually looks like the screw is loose that holds it. Hmmm... Will tighten that tomorrow morning and see if it helps. It stalled right as I was pulling into a parking space and wouldn't start. Would try just as the key went on and off, but no solid ignition. Drove home with a couple of hesitations and that was it. It doesn't like to idle down at all. really need to find that miss and maybe work on the carbadjustments along with the tranny adjustment. i know that it feels like the tranny isn't coasting at all down near an idle so it drags the motor down.

Check the distributor for play. I know when the distributors in my Ford trucks get about 100k+ on them the bushings get worn and start to get some play in them they'll do exactly what you are describing. 1st time it happened to me I replaced the ign module like you did and it helped at 1st (stronger spark maybe?)
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Check the distributor for play. I know when the distributors in my Ford trucks get about 100k+ on them the bushings get worn and start to get some play in them they'll do exactly what you are describing. 1st time it happened to me I replaced the ign module like you did and it helped at 1st (stronger spark maybe?)
Mike B.

How interesting. AMC was using Ford ignitions back then (the instruction sheet with the replacement module called it a Ford module). That may be the solution.

1986xj said:
Mike B.

Hmmm. . . . ok. The ECM that we replaced was cooked on the back. About half the epoxy on the back was raised, bubbly and nasty. I'll have to ckeck around and see if I can find a good one. Thanks for the info.

mks

Grizzley said:
Hmmm. . . . ok. The ECM that we replaced was cooked on the back. About half the epoxy on the back was raised, bubbly and nasty. I'll have to ckeck around and see if I can find a good one. Thanks for the info.

mks

I've got one, but they are redily available at most Auto Parts store. Got my last one at Advanced Auto Parts.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas on the new XJ. Finally got around to putting in a new distributor today. Think I missed the timing by a tooth. Still runs and I'll fix it in the morning. Engine was still hot when I went to change it. Big mistake, was incredibly hard to pull and the new one was hard to set back in. Just didn't want to fight it anymore and knew that the hot engine was the probable cause. Engine still ran incredible all the way to work and started after I let it set there for a couple of minutes, which it wouldn't do before. (Knock on wood) Inspection on Monday and after that I'm seriously considering changing to a Weber for now and eliminating the computer from the ignition system too.

By the way. Autozone wanted $49 and some change for their distributor but it came stipped, no ignition pick-up. That was another $23 or so. NAPA had their's listed for $53 with the module already installed.

Again thanks to all who chimed in. We've got another XJ back on the road. :clap:

I was thinking about your hesitation problem, and it remined me of somthing. My grandfather used to have a 1980 Chevy Citation with a 2.5 that had the exact same type of problem. Sometimes the motor just wouldn't go, the car would still be running, but you step on it from idel, and you get nothing. That got me thinking, wasn't the carburated 2.5 bought from GM, just like the 2.8, or was it the predecessor of the AMC FI 2.5? Anyways, he never did solve the problem (he only had his Citation for 2 years 1980-1982) but I was just thinking that it could help you out. If you tracked down what was making the Citation hesitate, it might be the same fix for yor XJ.

Back