• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle seals??

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking I need to replace the rear axle seals on my '91. (I have some leaking out of the drums onto the tire, might be brake fluid too, but might as well do brakes and seals as pm) On my Toyota they were out near the wheel, where are they on this axle and does anyone have a "how to" link?
TIA

The rear seals are just inside the tube. You will need a seal puller, about $5.00 at your local hardware store. The seals are pretty cheap OEM. You will have to remove the axle shafts to get to them. This is spelled out in a Haynes manual. I would make sure it is the seal first. I was getting the same thing around the drums, turned out to be leaky wheel cylinders (i think, brain fart, you know the hydraulic things in the brake drum that make the shoes expand out). I figured this out when I was locking up the front brakes as I had no rear brakes! Hope that helps. Inspect the residue good, it should tell you if it is dope or brake fluid.

asatxj,

On my 88 XJ I first had wheel cylinder leaks that cause the shoes to grab. I had the wheel cylinders replaced and solved the problem.

Nine months later had the same problem happen again but this time the wheel cylinders were fine, it was the out seal of the axle tube. On the Dana 35 axle you have an inner seal which keeps the gear lube in the axle. The bearing for the shaft are pressed on and included with the new bearing is the outer seal. To install the new outer seal and brearing you have to press the old ones off and the new ones on. The axle shaft bearings are lubed from the factory and do not use the lube in the axle. If you have grease coming out your could be running the bearing dry.

This is money well spent if you just go to your local machine shop an have them press them off and on.

I refilled my axles with Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 gear lube. It was more than normal lube but the improved performance was good enough for me. I towed a 3500 lb load of a car & tow dolly and when I got to the destination 20 miles away the tire were warm but the differential was cooler, not much above 100F. I also hoped the reduced heat would mean a little more mpg but I did not see a difference but it may a small improvement.

I'd do the brake job first, by inspection the wheel cyldiners you will know if they are leaking or if it the outer axle seal.

Martin

axle seals/brakes??

Good advice, I'm going to pull a drum tonite and find out "for sure" what it needs. I'm not low on brake fluid but the stuff on the tire seems more like that than gear lube. We shall see tonite.
More news as it happens!
ASATXJ

drums

Ok I pulled the drums and yick, what a mess, it's the seals allright. I've heard two reports here, are there seals in by the diff and the ones out by the backing plate??
Thanks all, I'll see about some pix of this deal, should make for some cool viewing!!

If a C-clip axle the only seal is in the end of the axle tube.You will however have to remove the rear cover and C-clips to get the axle out.
If non C-cilp follow post above but there are no seals near the diff in a D35.
Wayne

Hehe, just did mine last night. The seals are near the outer ends of the tubes. About an inch deeper in than the axle bearing cups. I used and old cheapo "dent puller", esentially a smal slide hammer, to yank out the old seals.

since there is a time crunch (I need more hours in the day) I'm going to put it off for a day or two, I'll let it sit for a couple days and drive the "mommobile"

OMT Aren't all D35's C-clip axles??

Last edited:
Nope. Not all D35s are C-clip. Up until 89-90 they were non- clip. Mine is a non-clip.

If you are leaking fliud out of the rear it's most likely gear oil getting around the inner axle seal. This seperates the greased outer axle bearing from the gear oil in the diff. Chances are your inner seal is leaking gear oil past the outer bearing. This could be different with a c-lip axle though. I've never worked on c-clip axles. I got rid of them ASAP. :) But according to the parts drawings I've seen it looks the same with the clip axles.

I called the stealer and they said on a c-clip axle (mine) the only seals are the outer ones which are in poor shape on mine!
Boy this transition to Jeep (former toy owner) requires lots of learning, thanks for the knowledge everyone!

How much gear lube goes in a d35, I may have to buy more!!

2 quarts will be enough,if you don,t spill much.
Wayne

Back