• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle seals

Bob 94 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever changed their front axle seals?? And if so, how hard was it?? TIA, Bob

A lot of it has to do with whether your front axle has the vaccuum disconnect on it. I'm getting ready to replace both of my front axle shafts on a non disco axle, and from what i've heard its just a matter of removing the shafts, the diff cover, and the carrier assy, pulling old seals out putting new ones in.Doesn't seem to hard to me but I'll let you know when i do mine (Probably this weekend)

HTH
RaiderXJ

OK thanks. I checked in a Chiltons book and it mentioned something about a special tool needed to remove the seals. Just wondering if you could just use a seal puller or screwdriver. Thanks again, Bob

Not sure what to use to remove the seals, I was thinking about just using like a srrewdriver or something similar. If this is bad, somebody let me know

This isnt too hard on these. I replaced the seals on my F-350 with a D60 front. The most time was spent on the hub and hub bearings. Fortunatly for this job XJs have those $200 sealed hubs. Anyway it isnt very hard, remove the brakes, remove the hubs with axle shafts still attached. Remove diff carrier, remove seals and install new ones. For installing the new seals I just used my 1" drive extension(long) with the right sized socket. Just be carefull to get them on straight.
This is of course if you have a Non-disco axle.
Tim

madxj.com has a good writeup with pics. Greg

Back