• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping Trannies

Dan Starc

NAXJA Forum User
A guy I know swapped his auto for a manual AX-15, and now his engine runs terribly. Apparently there's a problem with the CPS pickup, the CPS, or?

Anybody ever done this swap?
What is he missing?

Does he need to swap and/or modify something else.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :worship:
Thanks!

good point! :doh:

the XJ with the auto is an '88, but I don't know (yet) the year of the AX-15
I'll find out and get back to you

thanks for the starting point!

a couple weeks ago i swapped a '94 AW4 in place of an '88 Peugeot, i had the '94s flexplate, but had to get a different one from an 87-90 AW4. hmmm, i'm not sure if they ever made the AX15 with the Renix motor, maybe in 90. if they did, get the flywheel for that, otherwise i guess you could get the flywheel for the Peugeot and hope it works with the AX15.

What year was the XJ?

This might be a red herring but...

I don't know if this aplies to XJ's but on a lot of vehicles that ECU for the auto trans has "hooks" into the ECU for the engine - even if they are separate ECUs. this is on Suzukis and Subarus that I have experience with this. You need to use the manual version of the ECU if you replace the auto trans with a stick.

Maybe some digging will verify this?

FWIW, my understanding is that the 87-96 XJs have a separate trans ECU for the AW4; 97+ there is one ECU to control both the engine and trans (not sure if it is two ECUs sharing the same box).

HTH

r@m

Back