• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STRONG recovery points?

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for d-ring shackles that are bolt on and welded also to have the best of both worlds.I've seen the d-rings at tractor supply that are just weld on but I'm a little nervous trusting my welding skills on any thing like that(are any of you guys runnin' the tractor supply style?) .The down side of those are they cannot be detached for attaching a tow rope.Been looking all week for d-ring mounts and have had no luck so I need some options.I would like to have some warn shackles but have'nt seen any mounting hardware.So what is everyone here running?

Last edited:
mike harris said:
I'm looking for d-ring shackles that are bolt on and welded also to have the best of both worlds.I've seen the d-rings at tractor supply that are just weld on but I'm a little nervous trusting my welding skills on any thing like that .The down side of those are they cannot be detached for attaching a tow rope.Been looking all week for d-ring mounts and have had no luck so I need some options.I would like to have some warn shackles but have'nt seen any mounting hardware.So what's everyone here running?
What do you want to attach it to? If you got no attachment points at this point or just stock brackets you don't really have a spot to attach to without fabbing things. THere is someone here that made attachment for the d rings that attaches to the front tow hook brackets. Or you can make a bumper and attach the shackles there :D

First off, most clubs won't accept a welded on hook or shackle for the tech inspections. Custom4x4 makes a frame rail kit that will let you put d rings on the front in place of tow hooks. For the rear the only two D ring setups I have seen is the insert for a 2" receiver and AEV's rear bumper which has two tabs. If you do weld on tabs they need to be welded front and back of the bumper. You could probably have a tomken receiver hitch rear bumper modified with tabs that would come thru from the back and be welded on both sides and some of the aftermarket bumper companies offer them as an add-on.
Our two TJ's have warn front bumpers with thick welded on tabs for D rings, rear I'm not sure about, they have not come in yet.

I dont care what anyone says. I've got the 20000 lb. tractor supply weldons and Theres no what there comming off. Theres about 8-9"s of weld surface. I think the unibody would rip first.
0.jpg

useless said:
Here is a good bracket, no need to weld it on. If your bumper is well built, drill four holes add a backing plate and some bolts and you are good to go.

Expedition Exchange

Those only have a 6000# capacity. Isn't that a little low for off road vehicle use?

RichP said:
First off, most clubs won't accept a welded on hook or shackle for the tech inspections. Custom4x4 makes a frame rail kit that will let you put d rings on the front in place of tow hooks. For the rear the only two D ring setups I have seen is the insert for a 2" receiver and AEV's rear bumper which has two tabs. If you do weld on tabs they need to be welded front and back of the bumper. You could probably have a tomken receiver hitch rear bumper modified with tabs that would come thru from the back and be welded on both sides and some of the aftermarket bumper companies offer them as an add-on.
Our two TJ's have warn front bumpers with thick welded on tabs for D rings, rear I'm not sure about, they have not come in yet.

With the exception of tow hooks ALL tow points are welded on somewhere. Whether it's the shackle mounts on a bumper or a shackle stub inserted in a welded together receiver hitch.

http://www.ucc-udb.com/K01-K07-udb.PDF

Some of these "hoist rings" look an aweful lot like the D-rings that Safarigard sells for $125 each. The forged swivel hoist rings look pretty sweet. It looks like cad plated and stainless steel ones are also available.

I have a Warn winch bumper. Can I just drill holes and bolt these up?

mike harris said:
I just finished the rear bumper out of 3/16 and need d-rings to finish it off
What mounting setup for the bumper are you using? If you have any sort of recovery point than you definitely need to be using some form of mount that extends to the underside of the frame rail.

sarvermr said:
i found the prices. $173 each for the 13000 lb size (7/8" shackle). definitely not cheap.
I really don't even see what's so sweet about them. The 7/8" shackle sells for under $15 at McMaster. I'll sell you as many pieces of 1" X 2" bar with a 7/8" hole as you want for $25 each.
OK, it swivels. A very unneeded attribute on a bumper.

Back