PDA

View Full Version : Good Exhaust

StuckXJ
April 22nd, 2004, 20:52
I was looking for a good exhaust cat back system. I have herd that some free flowing systems can cause a loss in torque because of the lack of back pressure. I also want it to sound good, more like a muscle car than a honda with a coffee can exhaust pipe! I was looking at banks and borla but are they really that much better than the dyno max for about $100 bucks. Right now I'm happy with my 1992 4.o xj's performance I'm just looking for a better exhaust note and not a loss in power but, and increase would be great.
I looked over some forms with the search but none have really been much help. Thanks for any info I can get.
-Steve D

MudDawg
April 23rd, 2004, 18:51
Keep the money in your community...find a GOOD muffler shop that does custom work...often times the cost is the same or cheaper than mail order and self installation...

bigwalton
April 23rd, 2004, 20:17
Put a Dynomax on my 97 a few weeks ago. Other than it not having the rear hanger, I LOVE it. Nice sound and while I didn't notice any real increase in power, I certainly didn't notice any loss.

JeepinAudiophile
April 25th, 2004, 00:06
I have recently puton a Banks power muffler (to go with the torquetube headers i ordered but haven't installed yet) had it welleded up with a magnaflow high-flow cat, running 2.5" stainless steel from the head to the tip. It sounds feirce, but not aggravatingly loud and loose sounding like the flowmaster i have on my 95' That's the setup im running, and it sounds great and i defiinately picked up power... then i added a fastman throttle body, intense performance cold air tube w/ 5" filter, rusty's airtube to connect the pcv valve, and an arb snorkel to top it off...I think i have it covered from pretty much start to finish, but it's all to help the avenger supercharger breathe better when i get the money to buy it (hopefully inside of 2-3 months) anyway... I love the muffler, i have heard quite a few, and i like that one the most. well, there's my 52 1/2 cents worth.

JeepinAudiophile
April 25th, 2004, 08:36
You are in luck my friend... I just realized you are from massachusetts. LousCustomExhaust.com that's where I had mine done on both of my jeeps, they are amazing. They have tubular stock that they just mandrel-bend to fit your application. I had a single in to dual out muffler on my 95', they ran the two over the axle and came out on either side of the gas tank. I will take pictures of my exhaust on my 00' today if i remember, and get them on here.

REDXJ4FUN
April 25th, 2004, 10:03
My buddie just re did the exaust on his wifes 94 with a 20 dollar dynomax turbo and a statdard tailpipe from advance and it sounds suprisingly good.I had alway had custom stuff on mine but when you start draging these jeeps over everything stuf get mangled. There is a company called proflow that has welded mufflers like flowmaster that takew a real beating and never give up alot of shops use them so check around.

tireroastin93XJ
April 25th, 2004, 11:56
You are in luck my friend... I just realized you are from massachusetts. LousCustomExhaust.com that's where I had mine done on both of my jeeps, they are amazing. They have tubular stock that they just mandrel-bend to fit your application. I had a single in to dual out muffler on my 95', they ran the two over the axle and came out on either side of the gas tank. I will take pictures of my exhaust on my 00' today if i remember, and get them on here.
What kind of muffler did you put on and how does it sound with dual exhaust from the muffler back?
Mike Harris

StuckXJ
February 3rd, 2006, 21:25
I know its an ancient post but, fyi Lou's custom exhaust uses flowmasters. Its moslikly a 1 to 2 flomaster delta 40.
-Steve D