• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for new engine, what else to do???

xj2k

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, some may remember that the head on my 2000 Xj cracked and my wife ran the car for a month with coolant in the oil. Instead of worrying about the motor that already had 80k miles I picked up a motor with 5k miles from a junkyard. I'll run the motor like it is for a while and around 50k miles I'll swap in an updated head so it does not crack again.

Well, now that I have the new motor out and on a stand, I'd like to prep and change everything I can that might need it. With only 5k miles it shouldn't need much but I'll do alot of preventive maintenance. Here is my list so far, please let me know if there is anything else I should do!!

new belt, oil filter, oil, spark plugs, thermostat, water pump,anti-freeze, fuel filter, flush radiator and heater core, fancy intake, fancy header, maybe cams???

What am I missing. Should I go with better cams? Where do I get more info on cams.

Thanks,
Mark

Dino Savva (Dr Dyno) has a lot of good info on cams on his web page. You should be able to find him posting (as Dr Dyno) on the Street/Performance forum.

5k miles? Why replace the water pump? I wouldn't bother. In fact, on an engine with that few miles I don't see any reason to do other than routine "expendables" -- fluids, maybe the serp belt, and that's about it. At 5k it's barely getting broken in (which you'll want to remember when you fire it up).

The engine being so new shouldn't need much but... You have to think if you are going to want to put in a new cam or headers in the future it would be a million times easier to do it now, while the engine is out of youre car... Thats just my 2 cents.
-Steve D

Back