• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie W/???

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Have a new stock?? 93 XJ. (new for me) Seems to run smooth in city and highway driving but mileage sucks. 12mpg MAYBE.It has 235/75R15 Coopers with decent tread left.

I know it needs new hubs/front bearings, shocks, and a new electric cooling fan.

What would be the best first things to upgrade/replace to help with mileage and ride? It's my basic transportation but I would like to do some light off-road in the future.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and am looking for a club as well to gain information.

Thanks,

Rob the Rocketman (High Power Rocket enthusiast)

You need to do a search here with the search drop-down at the top of the screen for you complaint of poor mileage. You should also do the thing with the ignition switch to read the computer codes. Search for that too. I also speculate you will need to replace the O2 sensor, or Oxygen sensor. Do a search for that; there has been much discussion about which one to buy and where to buy it.

O2 sensors always good to ruin economy as it slowly goes bad and finally gets bad enough to throw and engine light on. Cheap plugs are bad too...Bosch supers have theyre place, just not on a xj and I'm not sure exactly where their place is in any other car...
I guess first thing to do would be a good tune up with quality components unless plugs,wires,cap, rotor, airfilter, fuelfilter, and o2 look like theyve been replaced lately. Might need to decarb the intake/engine too. There are so many things.....just my $0.02

Back