• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie W/???

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Have a new stock?? 93 XJ. (new for me) Seems to run smooth in city and highway driving but mileage sucks. 12mpg MAYBE.It has 235/75R15 Coopers with decent tread left.

I know it needs new hubs/front bearings, shocks, and a new electric cooling fan.

What would be the best first things to upgrade/replace to help with mileage and ride? It's my basic transportation but I would like to do some light off-road in the future.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and am looking for a club as well to gain information.

Thanks,

Rob the Rocketman (High Power Rocket enthusiast)

Start with the basics. Give her a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.) and change all the lubes. You should give the throttle body a good cleaning and make sure your clutch fan is not locked up(mine was). An open element filter will also help. Also, what helped a lot with mine is I had the injectors professionally cleaned. I get about 15 mpg around town with 31s living at almost 7000 ft.

Check your tire pressure and make sure your brakes are not dragging. Keep the windows closed on the hiway, XJ's get better milage buttoned up :D
Consider the XJ is a brick, open a window or two and you now have a brick with alot of turbulance around it...

Back