• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rockcrawler project status (if anyone cares)

Blatant

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy: Read often, post rarely. Joined a few months ago, when I decided to try my hand at building a rockcrawler Cherokee project. Bought a non-running rig for $400. Here's where I'm at today:

Front axle: hpD44 (from F-250), 5.13s, Detroit, full-width 8-lug, debating shafts/joints.
Fear axle: D60, full width, 5.13s, welded, disc brakes.
Suspension: Leaf springs all around, overall lift height as low as possible. Lots of sheet metal left to be cut.
Drivetrain: 4.3 Vortech, 4l60e. Current case is an np233. Undecided on that.
Tires: 37 MT/Rs.

The project is completely stripped. Will build the axles first so I've got a rolling chassis, then concentrate on the drivetrain.
Dion

TTIWWP.gif

I'm sure I've worn it out in the past few days, but it's just so appropriate :D
Billy

HECK YEAH! Thats going to rock!

I agree on the pics!!! :D

Yo Dion, lets see some pics! Glad to see you crossed over from the darkside to the world of XJ's. We'll have to get together for a thrash fest when we're done.

My new one is completly stripped, and I hope to finish reinforcing the framerails this afternoon. Next is rocker panel replacement, then the cage.

Later,

Rick

Pics? Ha, if you've seen one stripped down and primered XJ and a bunch of greasy axles and motors, you've seen 'em all!!

Rick: Sounds good. I think I'm going to cut the rocker completely out and weld in some sheet steel. My friend has an industrial shear and we can replicate the bend of the rocker in real metal, swing it under to the "frame" rails and weld it in there. I'll probably buy one of those pre-fab cages, save the trial and error (with the new steel prices) of bending my own.
Dion

Blatant said:
Pics? Ha, if you've seen one stripped down and primered XJ and a bunch of greasy axles and motors, you've seen 'em all!!

:laugh2:

:D:D:D

What year did you get the front axle out of and what year and model did the D60 come from?

Front is out of a 78 F250. Rear is a regular ol' full-width, 30-spline 60. No idea, as I haven't run the BOM yet.
d

Ya, your right about the pics Dion, here's what the side of my house looks like right now, greasy axles and more:
136648387IJYbSL_ph.jpg

I just ordered one of those "pre-fab" cages from D and C Extreme in Colorado. It should be here in the next week or so. It may be a while before I install it, but I'll let you know how it fits.

Rick

red_x.jpg

Back