• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln Locker in an 8.25

Okay, as usual I'll start off by saying: "I did a search", but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I was told welding and 8.25 27 spline is difficult because the carrier is cumbersome and it's hard to get at the spider gears.

I want to weld the thing, but want to be prepared. Anyone have an 8.25 and welded? Anything I should look for, or look out for? Pics?

Thanks as usual.

Georgia Mike did till he sold the jeep, try and email him and ask.

I welded mine in the vehical no problem. Don't weld the gears to the carrier unless you are sure of what you are doing, I believe its cast? Only weld the gears to each other. Also make sure your ground strap is acctually contacting the gears you are welding. If you ground it on the housing it has to go through bearings and may leave behind a little spit on the races and you would eventually lose the bearings. I did not follow either of these guidlines because I had never heard them, I welded both the carrier and grounded through the housing. So far so good. I did 8 welds total 4 on one side between the gears and 4 on the other. I cleaned everything very well with carb cleaner and air first and chipped off little bits of weld with a screwdriver you might also consider covering the ring gear with something to prevent anything from sticking to it? So far this has been a great mod and driving is perfectly normal except that it chirps a little, in the rain its got plenty of traction. Its a whole lot of fun and makes hillclimbs much easier. No rocks where I wheel.

Alan

BLKXJ33 said:
How about welding a 8.25 29 spline w/ 33x12.50's on steel wheels...what do yall think--breakage?

Mine's a 27 spline welded with 33's. Only wheeled it once since the weld up. I'm having no problems. I don't daily drive it, but I do drive to and from the trail (~3 hrs) and around town sometimes. If it breaks, big deal, I can slap an 8.8 or 44 under there and be good to go.

Don't fear the weld. :)

G Mike had 33x10.50 on his with no problems at all.

BLKXJ33 said:
How about welding a 8.25 29 spline w/ 33x12.50's on steel wheels...what do yall think--breakage?
You'll be okay as long as your valve stems aren't rubber.:D

But seriously, I'm running a welded 29 spline with 33x12.50"s and I wheel it hard on rocks and no breaks yet.

I'm sure, though, if I went up to 35"s and wheeled the way I do the rear axle would sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in short order.

I've welded mine up with no problems as well. But I haven't driven it on any surface that gave me traction yet, so I can't attest to the durability of the welds yet.

i wheeled hard and DD for over 1yr ~15k miles with a 27spline 8.25" with 33" tires.

i then jumped up to 38.5" sx's the rear held up untill i pulled it but the front was a different story.

(dont flame me for wheeling with stock axles and tires larger then stock, the 1tons are almost all the way under the jeep now. i just had to try the tires out before i tore the jeep all the way down)

I have a D44 and welded it a little over a year and a half ago. No problems, wheeled great. Untill a couple of months ago. I was driving on the street and heard a loud bang. After some cursing and a tow home, I found out that my spider gears had exploded under the stress. I also waisted a set of 35's. If you ask me it's cheaper to buy a locker than to keep buying tires. If you want to see pix of the exploded spider gears search "Big bang theory"

Neil

Neil said:
I have a D44 and welded it a little over a year and a half ago. No problems, wheeled great. Untill a couple of months ago. I was driving on the street and heard a loud bang. After some cursing and a tow home, I found out that my spider gears had exploded under the stress. I also waisted a set of 35's. If you ask me it's cheaper to buy a locker than to keep buying tires. If you want to see pix of the exploded spider gears search "Big bang theory"

Neil
Actually, your thread was "Big Bang THEROY".

And there aren't any pictures on that link.

Me want carnage. :firedevil

Thanks fellas.

I have heard good things about the lincoln, but have been apprehensive. I mean, once done... that's it, right? Plus, the locker possiblities are not great, and they don't make spools of any kind for this axle. Kinda blows.

Plus, I figure if it blows up, I'll just upgrade at that time.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Yeah, Just an update. My rear end just exploded yesterday out in the dunes. I was on the gas going about 60 when I dropped off an embankment allowing the tires to spin, when I landed BOOM! grind grind grind grind. All gone. I was about 80 miles from home and decided I HAD to drive on it, it held up the entire way home making horrible noises, luckily I have a spare axle here at the house. Anyways I took the cover off and it turns out I blew the two spider gears in half? All the little bits totalled the ring and pinion and the passenger side bearing is also toast. Anyways I cant say for sure if it was because I welded the gears up but perhaps it weakened the gears. The axle is probably salvageable.

Alan

BLKXJ33 said:

That is what I have, no problems...yet.

staticrevolution said:
All the little bits totalled the ring and pinion and the passenger side bearing is also toast.

I don't mean to be a smarty pants, but, why didn't you stop and change the dif lube right after it happened?

OK smarty pants! I was just pressed for time, out with 4 other vehicals who were kinda relying on everyone to keep up, I didnt have any diff lube with me(rare). Lots of excuses but basically I didnt have the time. It was a mistake that will be avoided in the future. From what me and my buddy figure is that the welds were fine and the spider gears just took the shock. My other buddy just blew out his spider gears in the same fasion a few weeks prior to this. Glad to say that the new axle(free) has a much better gear ratio! And the donor vehical is now up on stands awaiting either an 8.8 or a 9". Take care!

detail

Dana 44 aftermath.

Back