• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sheared stud in block

xjcrazed

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to work on the XJ tonight, it has a pretty bad case of crackedexhaustmanifolditis (now that I've got the thing off I realize it's a lot worse than I thought). So, I'm taking everything apart and thinking that all the time I spent coating the bolts with penetrating oil is really paying off. I get down to the very last bolt (of course, I wish I could shoot Murphy) and it pops off in my hand without really wrenching on it. I take a closer look and sure enough the stud (and it has to be the one right next to the firewall to make things even more difficult) is sheared off inside the block. The shear is below the level of the block so there's nothing to get some vise grips on. My next thought is the not so easy EZ-outs, but being so close to the firewall there's no room to get a drill in there. Are there any other suggestions out there?

Rob

90 deg angle drill ?? I sure would not want to compound the issue with an broken easyout thats for sure.

I have tried the 90 degree angle drill with reverse rotation drill bits with some success on sheared off block bolts (motor mount bolts) but have had the best results using my MIG welder. You MUST be carefull when you do this but it works very well. I carefully weld a few blobs on the end of the bolt until I have extended the bolt out far enough to get the vise grips on it, then while it is still hot I back it out. This also works very well on rusted frame bolts that shear off when you try to take them off.
Dave

the exhaust manifold bolt is stuck in the block? are you sure it's not in the head? if you are a competent welder, you can tack a nut onto the stud and twist it out, but there are a lot of risks in doing this. the extreme heat from welding can warp the head. and we all know iron heads dont exactly dissipate heat very well, so it might even crack. i was pulling the exhaust manifolds off my 95 Z28 a few months ago (iron block / aluminum heads) and sheered a bolt off in the head. ended up just pulling the head off because i didnt want to risk damaging the cylinder head. it's your call though. i definitely WOULD NOT risk using an angle drill. that's a tight squeeze and you need to drill perfectly straight.

RichP said:
90 deg angle drill ?? I sure would not want to compound the issue with an broken easyout thats for sure.

Yeah, that seems to be the way to go. Someone on another list said when they did theirs they broke the easyout and that gave them something to weld to. Looks like another fun adventure in Jeep ownership. =)

Rob

reuter said:
the exhaust manifold bolt is stuck in the block? are you sure it's not in the head?

Yes it's in the head, but I wrote the message frustrated and tired after midnight last night. I'll risk the right angle drill method because it's something I can do, and probably my only chance of not having to pull the head. If I still can't get it out, then I'll pull the head and take it to a shop. Thanks for the help and the warnings.

Rob

Back