• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extending wheel base. ( I am currently searching)

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at extending the wheelbase of my XJ about 5" what is everyones opinions on this?

It is currently 101" I want it around 106"

As I am looking at it it is a very easy procedure. Just flip the leaf springs around since the center pin and axle is offset on the leaf springs. I am raising the gas tank so that wont be an issue either. Now all I figure is run longer brake lines and new Driveshaft and SYE.

I need your input on this idea
DIG IT!

Why not push the front out a little? That way the tires wont rub the pinch seam at the back of the fender. Mine is extended around 2" and didnt encounter any problems with moving the axle foward. You will have to relocate the spring perches and lengthen the driveshaft. I also did some custom steering when I moved the axle foward so I cant really comment if the stock steering setup with work with the axle moved foward.

AARON

Thats my plan for the rear. For some reason, right now I ony have 99". But I'm also movin my front axle forward a couple inches buy building the coil pearch righ over the new axle housing. Factory has the coils sitting about 2-3"s infront of the axle centerline. This should put me at 106-107. I think thats jsut right for 37's

if you flip the springs, the long side at the front will allow for serious axle-wrap if you don't have a good traction bar setup. also having the small bushing on the fixed end isn't ideal.

If i were you, I would push the front axle out about 2 inches, that's about the max you can get away with for steering. then use MJ leafs in the rear in the stock front location, and for the rear, weld a shackle mount to your bumper (assuming you have a beefy one). This should give another couple inches in the back too.

Back