• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Upgrades and Replacements

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I have my Cherokee sufficiently outfitted for the trails I wish to run (for the time being) I want to start replacing/upgrading worn-out, stock components. My XJ has 190k+ miles so I am thinking of replacing things in this order; brakes, ball joints, steering components.

My first priority is the brakes. Needless to say my brakes are lacking. For the front brakes I’m planning on slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads, replacing the flex lines with new YJ lines and rebuilding/replacing front calipers. The rear brakes I’m planning on new pads and drums and wheel cylinders. Depending on how this improves the braking performance I’ll look into rebuilding the MC/new proportioning valve and/or upgrading to the late model brake booster, maybe even the ZJ rear disc brake conversion. Is there anything I’m missing? Suggestions, comments, recommendations on replacement parts?

When I get to the other systems I’ll ask more questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
well i have looked into this myself BEFORE i lift it ... since my brakes suck stock i was not looking forward to their perforamnce after i lift it, slap some heavy bumpers and skids and stuff it full of gear.

If you run 16" wheels you will have more options like swapping in larger ZJ hardware or going some other routes i haven't explored allot like using some brakes off of a half ton , swappin gin a E-350 master cyclinder and buying a proportioning vavle to get some balance between front and rear after all the custom work.

Back